Barrel smoke in 360 deg turret

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Timbo68
Private

Barrel smoke in 360 deg turret

Post by Timbo68 »

I’m curious to know whether anyone has made a barrel smoke tube work in a turret converted to 360 deg rotation with a slip ring. I have a slip ring to use, but can’t work out whether the tube will allow the turret to rotate fully - before I start work...
Dr Phibes
Corporal

Re: Barrel smoke in 360 deg turret

Post by Dr Phibes »

The smoke tube is fixed to the smoke generator at one end (which is usually in located in the hull) and runs up the cannon barrel so will twist up if used with a 360 slip ring (and of course you continue to rotate the turret). It could be resolved with universal joint of some kind, if you are up to scratch building something like this. It is not, I as far as I know, presently available as an aftermarket upgrade. I have been thinking about doing this myself in fact.
Another option might be to locate the smoke generator and air pump/fan in the turret, if room permits. One problem with this is that you then need to run four more wires to the hull (so a bigger slip ring may be needed).
Timbo68
Private

Re: Barrel smoke in 360 deg turret

Post by Timbo68 »

Interesting thought about turret mounting...I've three tanks with barrel smoke, two with 320 deg turret rings, and one with 360 but no slip ring. The problem would be that both the air pump and the heater unit would have to be turret mounted, and I'm fairly certain none of my three would have room for the current units. I'd give some thought to a U/J, probably using brass or copper tube. TBH though, it looks like more trouble than it's worth - more of a thought experiment than anything - but, just maybe, there's a genius out there in the community who's actually done it!

Return to “General Questions”