Erratic Tiger I movement

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Gnutcha
Recruit

Erratic Tiger I movement

Post by Gnutcha »

Hello, new Forum member here. Please forgive me if this is a common occurrence in these tanks. I did do a search on google with no luck...

My Tiger is moving erratically, there are two problems.

1. The tracks are moving at different speeds, I think this can be fixed with a better quality pair of motors.
2. It jerks when it's moving, almost like little micro stops. I've posted a video on Youtube to better explain

https://youtu.be/7g3uH2uwXj4

Any thoughts on item 2? It's an FRSky TH-9X running openTX to the RC5HL to tte original Heng Long RX-18. It's a Taigen Metal Hull with metal running gear. It seems electrical, or electronic. I bought the original heng long tiger years ago and broke it and I've just now gotten back to "fixing" it by upgrading almost everything.

Any help is appreciated.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: Erratic Tiger I movement

Post by Jimster »

Just a quick thought or two. Check that the track tension allows free movement evenly on both sides and check for binding in the gearboxes. Maybe remove the tracks and see that the drive sprockets and running gear turns easily. The jerkiness seems like a sketchy electronic connection to the motors or something. You probably thought about all this already. It may time to upgrade your electronics. Good luck.
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

in view of the video, I would transfer that awful battery, Nicd obsolete and certainly very tired, or poorly charged, by a new type Nimh, and then see what happens
Gnutcha
Recruit

Post by Gnutcha »

Same problem with a newer NiMH. I shot the video while checking it with the garbage battery just in case it was the NiMH battery gone bad.
Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

read the RCHL section on the connection to the various outputs of the RX and see if it is compatible? also see if the outputs are in the desired order? for proper operation, to check that? best is to use servos and see which stick or buttons operate what
Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

what kind of charger do you use? if the original one, it only has the name of the charger, but a common transformer and 4 diodes, do you still have the 27 Mhz transmitter? you transfer the current one and redo an original configuration test, without going through the RCHL :thumbup:
In order, I would say the Nimh battery (no risk?) Because even if erratic operation? seems to have no power, and these motors seem correct to me, so the solution to try with the motors one after the other? Disconnecting on RX (risk nothing either) see if the same problem
Gnutcha
Recruit

Post by Gnutcha »

Jofaur86 wrote:what kind of charger do you use?
It's an Onyx 100, the original got trashed before it ever even got used.
Jofaur86 wrote:do you still have the 27 Mhz transmitter?
Trashed it to take out a spring to make the TH-9X left stick self centering. I trashed the original heng long receiver anyway.
Jofaur86 wrote:try with the motors one after the other? Disconnecting on RX (risk nothing either) see if the same problem
That's a good idea, I'll try that and report back
Gnutcha
Recruit

Post by Gnutcha »

Troubleshooting success. It's the right motor that's the culprit. Unplugged the right and the left runs smoothly. Plugged the right back in and unplugged the left and it jerks and makes a horrible electric screech.

I just bought the Waltersons set so I'll go back to the vendor but I suspect I'll just pick up set of replacement crawler motors. Any suggestions?
Gnutcha
Recruit

Post by Gnutcha »

Jofaur86 wrote:
read the RCHL section on the connection to the various outputs of the RX and see if it is compatible? also see if the outputs are in the desired order? for proper operation, to check that? best is to use servos and see which stick or buttons operate what
The RCHL works great, the Tx worked first try following the instructions carefully. Other than the painful wait for shipping from Australia it was plug and play.

Return to “General Questions”