Metal tracks and sprockets upgrade for HL Challenger 2

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
TicTrac
Recruit

Metal tracks and sprockets upgrade for HL Challenger 2

Post by TicTrac »

Hi Everyone.

I'm looking to upgrade my HL Challenger 2 V6.0S from the standard plastic tracks, drive sprockets and idlers to metal versions.

Ideally I'd like the drive sprockets to have the integral central track guide rings to stop them being thrown off in use and would like 2 pin metal tracks with rubber pads.

I see on this forum that there are issues experienced with upgraded metal tracks either not fitting the drive sprockets or not fitting inside the space inside the side skirts.

Can anyone recommend upgrade metal tracks, drive sprockets and idlers that have worked well without issues please? I understand DKLM tracks may not fit the plastic HL Challenger 2 hull and body shell. Does anybody have experience of this or with HL or Mato upgrade tracks, sprockets and idlers please?

Many thanks,

Paul.
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Re: Metal tracks and sprockets upgrade for HL Challenger 2

Post by jhamm »

Hello Paul,
ask Dave from www.forgebeartanks.com
971wright
2nd Lieutenant

Post by 971wright »

Hi Dave (Forgebear) sent me a set of Tracks with rubber pads , they are 1mm narrower than the normal Heng Long metal tracks, you can also get sprockets with guides .

regards Pete
spongehoobtank82
Sergeant

Post by spongehoobtank82 »

I used Dklm sprockets/tracks/ idlers on my challenger 2 for couple years now, the only problem I had is yes they are slightly wider or the sprocket is more offset and will wear through the rear most dust
Flap/side panel slightly with time, I plan to removed this as alot of challengers have them folded up/removed , other the the idler tensioner snapping as its week plastic, dklm do a metal idler but it's like 300quid so I botched an adjustable one on mine. Hope that helps :thumbup:
Sponghoobtank82-panzerIII, panther V, tiger VI early and late and another early tiger,leopard 2a6, panzer IV F2,challenger 2
TicTrac
Recruit

Post by TicTrac »

Thanks for your replies.

I have been in previous communication with Dave at Forgebear tanks.

So, if the DKLM metal tracks are too wide for the HL Challenger 2 body/hull, has anybody have a good/bad experience with the Mato version of the metal tracks and sprockets please? I note that the Mato sprockets do not include the track guide rings.

Also, has anybody had issues with the metal drive sprockets with integral track guide rings and metal 2 pin tracks with rubber pads, as supplied by Haya Ltd? Are these items actually manufactured by Heng Long?

Ideally, I'd want the tracks to remain reliably seated in the sprockets' teeth in outdoor use, hence the focus on sprockets with guide rings, if possible.

The metal tracks/sprockets are on the expensive side (at least for an upgrade part) so I'd like to buy the most suitable components first time round rather than have to resort to trial and error.

Many thanks,

Paul.

Return to “General Questions”