First tank Tamiya or Taigan??

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Tanker1
Recruit

First tank Tamiya or Taigan??

Post by Tanker1 »

I can get my hands in a new discontinued Tamiya 1/16 Panther G tank.
I was also considering a new version Taigan Js-2 with V3 electronics and V3 gear box.

Both these tank cost about the same amount of money where I live.

As a static military model builder building the Tamiya tank won't be an issue but I here a lot of conflicting information about the quailty of Tamiya tanks mostly from the electrical/mechanical standpoint.

As this is a fairly large investment for me I would like some options from experienced RC tank guys.

Thank you!
tomhugill
Captain

Re: First tank Tamiya or Taigan??

Post by tomhugill »

Definitely the tamiya panther. Ready models, drive well, plenty of scope for variants

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning,
I stand with Tom on the Modeling aspect of building your own Tank. I am always impressed with the engineering that goes into Tamiya models. Even the mistakes are well engineered mistakes. Now I will waffle a little because I do have one of the Taigen\Torro JS-2s and that vehicle is a Blast to drive. As solid and brutal ugly as the real vehicle was. There are enough tweaks that have to be applied ( wobbly main gun because of it's length, etc. ) as well as a proper extra detail job ( if you're into that ) that a lot of fun can be had setting up the JS-2 to be the star of your WWII Russian Armor Core. Really want a JS-2 and really want to build it from scratch, Tamiya made it first before Taigen\Torro.
regards and have fun which ever direction that you go in. Your money will be well spent on either Tank.
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Hi, I gain the impression that you have the Tamiya Panther kit and not somebody's pre-assembled model, If so I would favour the Tamiya BUT as Painless points out the Taigen JS2 is an imposing Tank to work with and your opportunities to add detail and individuality is perhaps something to go for or then again why not both :haha:
:haha:
Don't worry about the Tamiya electrics you can always change them later after you have gained a better appreciation of Tamiya's own equipment. :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Tanker1
Recruit

Post by Tanker1 »

Hi Jarndice,

I don't have the Tamiya Panther kit yet.
A local dealer has 1 available in there old stock.
I'm trying to decide which way to proceed.
Both would be great but I would need to liquidate some of my RC aircraft gear first.
So for now I can only choose one.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Don't hang about, Get in that store with your hard earned and make that Panther yours,
I promise you won't regret it. :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Tanker1 wrote:Hi Jarndice,

I don't have the Tamiya Panther kit yet.
A local dealer has 1 available in there old stock.
I'm trying to decide which way to proceed.
Both would be great but I would need to liquidate some of my RC aircraft gear first.
So for now I can only choose one.
The is-2 isn't going anywhere, you might not get another chance for a panther. The IS-2 would definitely be a great model though

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Tanker1
Recruit

Post by Tanker1 »

Well just called the local hobby shop and had them put the
Tamiya Panther G aside for me till I can pick it up on Monday.
:thumbup: :thumbup:
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

Tanker1,

I think you made the right call. Sir Jarndice and Tom have it right! I was just about to ask "just where is this dealer located and do you have the phone number for him...please?). :eh: :think: :shifty:

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

You will not be disappointed with your decision to go for the tamiya panther as your first rc tank, one of their best looking tanks in my opinion. I have their panther and Jadgpanther in my fleet and think that the both of them look great, tamiya electronics are getting a little dated now as the other board manufacturers up their game but you will still be very happy with it and of course the tamiya build quality :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:

Return to “General Questions”