Compare Heng Long 2.4GHz V3 with V6?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
SimonCornes
Lance Corporal

Compare Heng Long 2.4GHz V3 with V6?

Post by SimonCornes »

Hi, I am looking at a tank with a V3 radio installed. Can you tell me how it compares to a V6 please? Will a V3 drive me around the bend in comparison?
Thanks

Simon
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Re: Compare Heng Long 2.4GHz V3 with V6?

Post by jhamm »

The difference between V3 and V6 is huge.
it's not really a comparison - V3 is stoneage.
SimonCornes
Lance Corporal

Post by SimonCornes »

Thanks jhamm. I sort of came to that decision when reading a comparison between V6.00 and 5.3 where the advantages of one were so much greater! You know how you see something that seems a good deal but then you ask yourself how much it would cost to upgrade? Net result - its its just better to buy new - if you really want it! How to avoid 'false economy' eh?

Many thanks for confirming what I suspected!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I am a little confused by the claim of the V3 being a Heng Long board when I would expect it to be a Taigen Board,
If it is a Taigen board it has the ability to work with an aftermarket transmitter and If you are running a number of Tanks fitted with aftermarket boards you would be able to incorporate the V3 into the menu, Of course the abilities of the V3 would not be improved if you were to do so,
The simple truth is that the Heng Long Version 6.0 is miles better than the Taigen V3 and its only drawback is that you are restricted to Heng Longs own transmitter.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
SimonCornes
Lance Corporal

Post by SimonCornes »

jarndice wrote:I am a little confused by the claim of the V3 being a Heng Long board when I would expect it to be a Taigen Board,
If it is a Taigen board it has the ability to work with an aftermarket transmitter and If you are running a number of Tanks fitted with aftermarket boards you would be able to incorporate the V3 into the menu, Of course the abilities of the V3 would not be improved if you were to do so,
The simple truth is that the Heng Long Version 6.0 is miles better than the Taigen V3 and its only drawback is that you are restricted to Heng Longs own transmitter.
I meant the Heng Long 2.4GHz Version 3.0. This predates the 5.3 of course but seems to be a little dated so I would feel obliged to replace it with a V6.0 !! The only drawback with the V6.0 is the limited range of engine sound effects I think - the lack of a Sherman for example but that adds £15 or so onto the price of a Taigen V3 MFU of course! I have a HL Sherman with a V.6.0 installed so maybe that would be a good candidate for a Taigen V3 MFU and sound module? Seems a pity though!
tankme
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by tankme »

Might be better to use terms most of us are familiar with. The HL MFUs that preceded the TK-6.0/6.1S/7.0 are the 5.3, the RX-18, and the RX-13 from what I remember. Any of them prior to the 6.0 are pretty much junk, IMO. I like Taigen stuff, but I'm going to say that I wouldn't buy a V3 for any of my tanks. It just doesn't meet my needs as far as being able to give and take hits from Tamiya tanks. That way even my not so serious tanks can at least play around with the Tamiyas.
Derek
Too many project builds to list...
SimonCornes
Lance Corporal

Post by SimonCornes »

I recognise those descriptions to but I was looking at an image of the tank on eBay and didn’t recognise the 2.4GHz HL transmitter so I googled it and found an identical tx which was described as a V3. Mainly black when compared to the current model but with the same 4 function buttons and engine start/stop button. I don’t know how long the Challenger 2 has been available from HL but I didn’t bid for it because the transmitter wasn’t V6.0
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

The HL mfu that preceded the v5.3 was indeed known as the v3.0, the obvious difference being the transmitter which had a black 'sticker' below the sticks rather than silver.

Unfortunately the components are not overtly identified but each version upgrade has been a significant step forward. I look forward to trying a version 7.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
SimonCornes
Lance Corporal

Post by SimonCornes »

Thank you for clarifying that. I think I did the right thing by not buying it!
All I want with the V7.0’is compatibility with the V6.0/6.1 and more engine sound effects!

Return to “General Questions”