Tigers at Kursk missing head lamps?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Jnewboy
Sergeant

Tigers at Kursk missing head lamps?

Post by Jnewboy »

I have noticed that alot of Tigers in pictures from Kursk are missing one or both headlights...

Im doing S32 from Das Reich at Kursk. It started as just wanting to have an early version Tiger but did not want the DAK one as the Tiger is famous for its fighting at Kursk so I thought this was fitting. As I go deeper down the rabbit hole however I remembered why I hate doing a specific AFV especially German ones as no set of rules apply, you can say this is right and this is wrong for a time period, or even a division or unit but the only way you really know is photos...

Here are the only pics I can find and Im hoping maybe someone out there has others... Looks like S32 has one headlight...?

ImageTiger_s32_2 by jon newsom, on Flickr

Image289567b228010ce33a13569f64e84e97 by jon newsom, on Flickr

Image355e752a77ab918685c902903de04fe8 by jon newsom, on Flickr

Here is what I have gathered from these pictures:

Number one, the left hand side light is just gone, you can see that it’s gone in last two pictures, I thought well maybe it just got blown off by a high explosive round but as you can see in the one where all the Tigers are lined up preparing for the fight the lights already gone… WTF?

The next thing I noticed is that it does have the early loader periscope, which is possible because those started in January. I also noticed that the S mine launcher is missing from the left hand side, the same side that the light is missing from. The S mine launcher is in the front behind where the light should be but not on the side.

Another thing I noticed is that it has the unreinforced mantle on the gun visible in the picture where the guy is standing in front of the tank.

Did I miss anything? Do any of you know anything else that is specific to this tank or have any more pics of it??

Thanks!!!
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Re: Tigers at Kursk missing head lamps?

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

I think I read somewhere that the headlamps were readily removable. I did a really quick check through Uwe Feist and Bruce Culver, Panzerkampfwagen Tiger, (Ryton, 1992) and through Culver and Feist, Tiger I and Sturmtiger in Detail (Ryton/Feist Pub., 2009). In both books, I saw headlights located on either front corner atop the forward hull as well as from the front of the glacis and often absent altogether. But neither book has an index. :-< I have more on the Tiger 1, but someone here may more quickly correct me, so you will get more reliable information or a scholarly argument. ;) Either way, it will be fun.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

When the British captured 131 in North Africa she was devoid of headlamps, They were found stored within the Tank,
But the story of Tiger 1 Headlamps and their number and location and the different patterns of the side mounted Track cables would fill a small magazine,
A combination of headlight location and number and cable pattern is a very easy way to date a Tiger 1.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Jnewboy
Sergeant

Post by Jnewboy »

Found this website with great pictures!
http://www.moxingfans.com/history/2016/0621/2080.html

In many pictures they are off... This makes it difficult, do I go for the classic early Tiger look with both head lights up top on the corners or keep it absolutely authentic to that tank at Kursk. I want both... :crazy: :haha:
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

"I want both..." Well, then, buy another one. That's my solution! @)
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

Return to “General Questions”