Best method of smoothing/levelling 3D printer PLA?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
43rdRecceReg
Major

Best method of smoothing/levelling 3D printer PLA?

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I'm looking for the best option for levelling 3D printed PLA parts. An automotive acrylic filler/primer perhaps?
I found a guide here- but an 'acetone bath' sounds a bit more like disposing of a body, than smoothing a model off! 8O
https://all3dp.com/2/pla-smoothing-a-beginner-s-guide/
It's not that I want any figures like these, but just a finish as smooth as these have, on an air intake for my Sherman project. :)
I've looked at Mr Surfacer, but that's more for a textured finish- well, at least the 500 version I have is.
All usable tips welcomed!! :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Best method of smoothing/levelling 3D printer PLA?

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I saw this product, and it looks like a capable solution. Has anyone tried it? It's American, but there are UK outlets that stock it, apparently:
https://modelshop.co.uk/Shop/Item/XTC-3D/ITM7368
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

It looks as though that would smooth the finish rather like a varnish, adding a thin coat that would go off smooth. Alternatively you could use a paint finishing / finishing compound, available in various grades from any good car spares shop.

I guess it's your choice whether you rub off small detail or lose it under varnish! I'd avoid any form of solvent :wtf:
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
midlife306

Post by midlife306 »

I’d avoid solvents on PLA, all I use are Swiss files, wet & dry sandpaper and elbow grease.
Oh, power tools are a nono..
Cheers
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

I would use and do use Vallejo putty apply spread by finger and sand smooth
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
enginepeter
Private

Post by enginepeter »

Roy - I use combination of methods depending on the size of the part and its shape.

For the larger and flat surfaces I tend to fill with fine model filler/putty depending on what is to hand. Small irregular shaped pieces - a new X-acto blade and scrape it. For the rest a combination of sanding or filing. All a bit of a chore, especially the smaller pieces where I end up sanding my finger tips!
midlife306

Post by midlife306 »

A wire brush comes in very handy too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PatrickH
Recruit

Post by PatrickH »

you could try using water solouble resin and then cured with UV. Its what i'm using at the moment to smoothen out my pla prints
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Thanks, lads!. Yes, I would be too wary to use any form of solvent on PLA, and related 3D printed plastics. 8O
I use wet superfine Milliput sometimes, and have also used Mr Surfacer; but Mr Surfacer tends to create textures, and I need a uniformly smooth surface. Also, Mr Surfacer is enamel-based, and contains solvent. :think:

As a stopgap, I used a sheet of 0.2mm styrene. The air intake on the Sherman engine deck needs to be smooth, as it's made from sheet metal. I used superglue to bond a section of sheet to the printed filter:
Image So far, so good!.
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Morning Roy,

If the area is flat enough I usually use the same method as you have just used, a thin piece of plasticard normally does the trick. For more rounded or difficult areas I use an automotive knifing putty and spread it across the surface with a piece of plasticard, this way you can get a little amount applied to just fill the printed ridges and once dry I just give it a quick rub over with some sandpaper to knock any rough edges off :thumbup:

Cheers,Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:

Return to “General Questions”