Best method of smoothing/levelling 3D printer PLA?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
maker1966
Recruit

Re: Best method of smoothing/levelling 3D printer PLA?

Post by maker1966 »

I use 3m spot filler, works very well.. then go over with a nice plastic primer (car rattle can)
Rob1970
Corporal

Post by Rob1970 »

43rdRecceReg wrote:I found a guide here- but an 'acetone bath' sounds a bit more like disposing of a body, than smoothing a model off!
Acetone bath (or for that matter "vapour smoothing" with acetone) only works on ABS or ASA. And it's nasty. I do my own printing, and don't care about the time it takes to print, so I go for high resolution (0.08mm layers), sometimes a small blast with a small torch, sanding and putty. I have yet to try dipping or spraying with resin but I've seen nice results with that.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... with+resin
Sherman M4A3/Stug III/Panzer III/Panzer IV/Tiger/King Tiger/KV-1/T34-85/Leopard 2A6/Abrams M1A2/Walker Bulldog/Pantiger
Under construction; Sherman Firefly IC - M3 Grant - Sherman BARV
... No, I do not have a problem....
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Well, Rob, you do get around. :D I'd forgotten this thread, However, the YouTube link did provide this useful video on using resin as a filler,
phpBB [video]
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
panzerrob
Recruit

Post by panzerrob »

Hi all,

I have used the above mentioned 3D XTC product, and I really enjoyed it.
It is a 2 component laquer like paint and it cures pretty fast.

This was my first experience with a 3D printed kit and the 3D XTC stuff, but will do and use it again!

With regards,
Rob from Holland
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Thanks, Rob for the recommendation!.
For anyone wishing to try it, I see that it can be had via Amazon.co.uk and other sites. Here's one that looks decent:
https://www.benam.co.uk/xtc-3d
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “General Questions”