Talking about gearboxes

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Afrikakorps
Corporal

Talking about gearboxes

Post by Afrikakorps »

I am in the middle of a Sturmtiger rebuild and have come across a bit of a problem. The build consists of a taigen tiger 1 plastic and metal lower hull, metal road wheels and metal sprockets and tracks. The upper section is the original plastic matoro sturmtiger. For the gearboxes I have used heng long 4:1 steel gears in a high low configuration. The tiger drives very well !
Now my problem is that I cannot get full elevation of the gun. When elevating the gun, the inside of the gun assembly lowers and hits the top of the "high" motor on the gearbox.
As I see it, I have several options available to fix the problem. These all involve changing the gearboxes.
First, change the gearboxes to a 3:1 medium low configuration . ( I think the tank will run too fast )
Second is to use the taigen 5:1 low low gearboxes. ( tried them in a similar weight KV-1 and not enough torque )
Third, buy the new taigen 7:1 gearboxes ( Toooo expensive to get here in Australia )
Finally, rebuild the hang long 4:1 high motor gearbox. I think tis would involve repositioning the first gear wheel lower in the housing, then lowering the motor so it fits the gear wheel. End result would mean that the gearbox was lower but longer with the motor more to the back.

So, this leads me to ask the question, has anyone altered the motor position on a 4:1 gearbox so that the high motor is in a lower position ?

I welcome your thoughts, opinions and any other suggestions.
Cheers
Afrikakorps
Panzer III G
Sherman M4A3 (105)
T-34/76 (1942)
Panzer IV Wirbelwind
Sturmtiger
KV-2
M26 Pershing
T-34/76 (1943)
KV-1
M3 Lee
Ferdinand / Elephant
M16 Half-track
Panther G
M4a1 (75mm)
M41 Walker Bulldog
JS-2
M4a3e8 (76mm)
Japanese Type94
FT-17
Tiger 1
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Talking about gearboxes

Post by Jofaur86 »

:D Hello,

ah gearboxes, big debate, this on a French Forum, just for info
https://www.forum-rc-panzer.com/t7933-U ... tesses.htm
:'( sorry if in French? but Google translate will surely help :D
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

When you mentioned changing the boxes, I wondered whether you could get those 4:1 boxes with a more suitable motor position? Also, what about the 4:1 Taigen boxes, they do them with the various motor positions, and they work quite well.

Those new 7:1 boxes are almost as fast as the Heng Long 3:1 boxes. Although they advertise them for King Tigers etc, it's my honest opinion they would be more suited in modern tanks going on their spec.

And lastly, what about those PDSGB boxes, or the Heng Long copies, will they give enough clearance?
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Ludwig von wigbearer
Staff Sergeant

Post by Ludwig von wigbearer »

Taigen 5/1 with Igarashi N2738-51 work well together :thumbup:
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I have the same Taigen plastic/metal hull set up in my Tiger and the DKLM PDSG is as low profile as you’re gonna get. Unfortunately I believe these awesome gearboxes are unavailable. However Heng Long has released their version of this gearbox. Forgebear carries these and I have a unit but haven’t actually tested it yet. I wish you lived in the US, I could make you a sweeeet deal 8)
Afrikakorps
Corporal

Post by Afrikakorps »

Thank you everyone for your replies. Much appreciated. :thumbup:
The Taigen 7:1 gearboxes are too expensive to get here in Australia, so to will be the combination of taigen low profile 5:1's with the Igarashi N2738-51 motors, though this does look like a good combination.
I may have the chance of getting a PDSGB gearbox, so I will investigate this more. I have to work out how to connect this to my rcta motherboard. :problem:
Otherwise I will go down the track of using taigen 3:1's and try to limit their speed through my transmitter settings. :/
Thanks all, I will let you know how it turns out.
Cheers
Steve
Panzer III G
Sherman M4A3 (105)
T-34/76 (1942)
Panzer IV Wirbelwind
Sturmtiger
KV-2
M26 Pershing
T-34/76 (1943)
KV-1
M3 Lee