Help with recoil and metal mentlet on a BB Stug III Hull

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Kirpau
Recruit

Help with recoil and metal mentlet on a BB Stug III Hull

Post by Kirpau »

I got a Stug III upper hull with a BB unit from a guy on EBay and he gave me a metal Mantlet for the Stug III aswell. I wanted to convert it into recoil, but I amnot quiet sure how I do that, as all builds I have seen have a different mounting for the gun and to me it seems like the mantlet isnt even compatible with the upper hull.
20201228_142536_resize_85.jpg
20201228_142529_resize_69.jpg
20201228_142514_resize_60.jpg
Here is a build where the gun is attached differently to the hull like with my hull, but the mantlet has the same shape as the metal one i got:
IMG_4409.jpg
IMG_4409.jpg (85.66 KiB) Viewed 828 times
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4062&hilit=xrad%27s+stug+III

Maybe someone can tell me if and how I use the metal mentlet and add a recoil.

Thanks for any help!
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Help with recoil and metal mentlet on a BB Stug III Hull

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi,
As first task, i recommend you disassemble the gun mount so that you clearly can see what you have in hand. Then you need to purchase a recoil unit, like a Clark 3D printed. The recoil unit should fit the pivot mount on the upper hull, and you should be able to keep the same elevation unit. You will need to see how the tip of the recoil unit can be made to fit the metal mantlet. But the use of the metal mantlet might be more problems than benefits. You are probably better off modifying the plastic mantlet to fit the tip of the recoil unit you will purchase.
Kirpau
Recruit

Post by Kirpau »

Thanks for the advice, already thought, that I might not be able to use the metal mantlet. For the recoil unit I wanted to go for the one from asiatam ( I am from germany so the Clark one is hard to get, I have already looked for that, because it is recommended often)
john1970
Corporal

Post by john1970 »

If you want to use the metal 1 you can try as is if it works then good if not then you can cut off the extra parts that yours doesnt have.
for the clarke recoil unit
https://www.ozarmour.com.au/store/elect ... tanks.html
with postage from Australia its still works out at a similar price to buying in Europe.

The reason they are different is that yours is BB while the 1 from the build is IR

Return to “General Questions”