Advise on buying first RC tank

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Advise on buying first RC tank

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Ahh, I purchased some connectors off of Amazon :thumbup:
I already have some fine wire. I guess you may be able to purchase small reels of wire also off of Amazon.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Leo Part 1
Recruit

Post by Leo Part 1 »

Do these connectors have specific names/codes?
I searched but only found JR as a name.

Im sorry, new to the RC world.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Congratulations! It’s awesome getting a new rc tank and you’re starting with a good one. Enjoy the journey :clap:
Photos photos photos.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Leo Part 1 wrote:Do these connectors have specific names/codes?
I searched but only found JR as a name.

Im sorry, new to the RC world.

Are you after the little white ones the same as Heng Long's type? They are JST connectors.

Edit, I believe they are 2.54 JST connectors.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Leo Part 1 wrote:Thanks. I've seen those (bought my tank at rctanks.de). But i'm looking for separate wires and connectors so I can make my own cables.

I buy mine here: http://www.hansenhobbies.com/

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
abramsky
Lance Corporal

Post by abramsky »

Leo Part 1 wrote:The only disappointment so far is the fact that the gun barrel has to go fully up before it goes down (and vice versa). Not very realistic. I hope/think this will be fixed when the Clark parts arrive.
Clark MFU should fix this definitely. By the way, it's weird that the Taigen electronics still work like this. Heng Long has fixed it already in version 5.3 of the MFU.
Leo Part 1 wrote:By the way, does anybody know where I can buy good and affordable wires and connectors in bulk (all kinds that one encounters on the HL and Taigen tanks)?
I think you should search in online electronics stores. You'll probably need a few JST XH connectors ( unfortunately I don't know name of that smallest one in coffee milk colour ), and several 3pin 2.54mm spacing for servo. Maybe 4psc 4mm banana plugs for engines, and a T-Deans connector.

I suggest that you could build a quick coupling between the slip ring from upper hull and the lower hull where will be Clark MFU. Maybe this will inspire you.
viewtopic.php?f=79&t=30884
Leo Part 1
Recruit

Post by Leo Part 1 »

Thank you!

To be honest, I've been working in the Leopard for 1.5 days now. It is ready to run. I've changed the standard speaker for a Visaton, upgraded the battery and put all parts in place.

And then took it for a short test. Sure, it looks impressive. It draw the attention of people around the block (children and men when I tested in on my drive way. And it was fun to play with.

But I just didn't get the kick from it like I used to get from building and painting 1:35 models. The quality is a bit disappointing and I'm not sure upgrading to Clark stuff will make it any better.

So, much to my disappointment I'm ending it here. There are still HQ tracks on the way but when they arrive I'll put the Leopard, the Flysky and the tracks up for sale.

A pretty expensive 1.5 day if hobby....
Leo Part 1
Recruit

Post by Leo Part 1 »

Ok, maybe I'll give it some more thought before I sell it. :think:
I was mainly disappointed by the noise and (lack of) speed of the turret and gun barrel, the fact that the gun has to traverse all the way up or down, the smoke generator (almost not visible) and the sound quality (despite a more powerful speaker). So now I'm checking and thinking about if the Clark updates will fix this (except the smoke generator).

And the gun barrel recoil is a bit strange. The barrel moves backwards but only the front part, from the fume extractor tot the muzzle. That's not very much Leoprardish.....
I wonder if the barrel can be replaced with one that has more accurate recoil (and I will use the Clark recoil kit).

Also, I wanted to do a few light paint touch ups on parts that came from the sprues. I found out that although the paint on the Leopard is quite strong, it does react quite strong when touched up with acrylic paints. The paint basically dissolves. So I was thinking if that will be a problem with weathering. How do you guys weather your HL/Taigen tanks? What paint, wash, powders, thinners do you use?

Last thing I encountered (but probably my own newbie fault): I couldn't get met FlySky i6S + iA6B to work with the Leopard. I used the servo connectors that came with the tank to connect the receiver but to no avail. Is it possible to make this work? Or would that only work with a Clark board?
Shootermcgraw
Private

Post by Shootermcgraw »

Just now seen your post.....Maybe I could help you if you didn't sell anything off? I to have the full metal taigen lower hull but I'm using Clark electronics..... Send me some photos of your tank.

Sent from my 9032Z using Tapatalk

You can call me Will:

Return to “General Questions”