Anyone know the RAL colour for this?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Estnische
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Anyone know the RAL colour for this?

Post by Estnische »

43rdRecceReg wrote: It's especially handy, if your German tank commander is inclined to go into action dressed as a Roman Centurion ;) :D
Only if you have Sympathy For The Devil! (sorry Mick, Ron, Charlie, Bill and Keef)
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Estnische wrote:
43rdRecceReg wrote: It's especially handy, if your German tank commander is inclined to go into action dressed as a Roman Centurion ;) :D
Only if you have Sympathy For The Devil! (sorry Mick, Ron, Charlie, Bill and Keef)
:D 'Made damn sure that Pilate washed his hands and sealed his fate'....
Oddly enough, I was listening to that only the other day, Brett. he also goes on to sing:
",,,
I rode a tank
Held a general's rank
When the blitzkrieg raged
And the bodies stank..."

Anita Pallenberg is credited with appearing on the track- but it doesn't what (or who's) instrument she's playing. :haha: I remember seeing her romping with Mick (Jagger, not Gunner) in Nic Roeg's 'Performance'. Now that was cinema verite, allegedly... Certainly didn't please keef.

Coming back from the Strolling Bones, I found this more prosaic, but informative, piece of footage:
phpBB [video]
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Having already posted Vallejo's 'Fair skin' tutorial, I thought it a good idea to post the brown skin and step by step guides, as well.
When the you buy Vallejo's 'Face Painting- acrylic colours for painting pale and dark faces (ref.70.119)' this fold-out guide, by Jaime Ortiz, is included.
The step by step guide has been posted in the order English speakers might find most useful.
That's it for now, I'm beginning to get after-images of Russell Crowe, wielding a roman sword- or(more likely), a large tequila cocktail... :haha:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Well, I have one Commander figure nearly finished. I've yet to try adding Tamiya decal medal ribbons to this one. Although I have an illuminated Lupe for that, I really need some new specs, as Covid has put eye tests well out of safe reach.
He looks a bit long in the tooth, and should have been sent to the Volkssturm; but then again, that's what the figure under the daub dictates. He still bares a resemblance to Monty's double, although I'll call him Lt Fischkopf (ja, er ist aus Hamboich :D )

I'll try decal (Leutnant) shoulder boards him, when I've plucked up the nerve. :lolno:
I has another figure almost ready- and, more by accident than design, he even had a convincing set of peepers. Then I made the mistake of trying to improve on them, and ruined them in the process. He now looks like he's suffering from extreme hay fever. ;) So, it's back to the facial drawing board with him.
I'd even considered keeping the one good eye, and putting a Von Stauffenburg patch over the other, but that seemed cowardly.
Here's the German Dad's Army, that my Lt Fischkopf should have been detailed to. Note how they all seem to have visited Specsavers (Brille-Retter.... :D ) lately- unlike me.

edit: when I plopped old Fischkopf in the casemate, I had a visual post-it memo for painting the inside of the hatches. ;)
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

...not bad! ...not bad at all! Where did you get that figure? How did he get his officer's hat on backwards? I am jealous.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Ha! I thought he was wearing a beret!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Herr Dr. Professor wrote:...not bad! ...not bad at all! Where did you get that figure? How did he get his officer's hat on backwards? I am jealous.
Well, I just fitted it back to front- periscope style :D
It's actually a Tamiya figure. I have another figure where the hat can be removed, and reversed (the one with a bad case of hay fever, currently)- His cap remains in place even sans cement.
As an incidental, his head also fits inside a scale Victorian diving helmet. I thought he might look cool going into action, sporting this anti-sniper headgear.
Somewhat eccentric too. :lolno:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Jimster wrote:Ha! I thought he was wearing a beret!

With a string of onions around his neck, he could almost be an ex-onion seller, doing his bit as a French Wehrmacht volunteer. ;)

Oooh, la la..! Ou est mon Panzer Uniform! :haha:
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

What a hoot! Now on to "serious" ;) matters. What color do y'all (I lived in the South of the US for a while) use for prybars, axe heads, etc., on AFVs? And, most especially, what do you use on tow cables?

I see here, for example, that the cable on your Jagdpanther matches the tools. I have heretofore (still gotta be the Professor) used Vallejo gun metal or Tamiya gun metal, either mixed with black to be a bit less silvery. Then I wash the cables themselves with light rust to just hint rust in the weave of the cables. OK? Should any part be Dunkelgrau or Dunkelgelb?
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Ahem: I still want to know how the commander got his hat on backwards. It's just a great effect! Or is this ein Staatsgeheimniss?

Return to “General Questions”