Anyone know the RAL colour for this?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Anyone know the RAL colour for this?

Post by EAO »

Guys,

I'll just add this to things I'll never understand and never will be able to understand! It's just beyond me! :crazy:

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

If you get the opportunity to get up close to Japanese Porcelain of the 18th/19th century look long and hard at the brushwork,
It is quite simply Wonderful and painted in almost all cases by completely unknown artist's.
You can thank the American Navy for that,
Commander Perry sailing into Tokyo bay and telling the people Trade with the USA or ------
Thereby killing the Samurai cult and with no demand for Armour or Swords and other accoutrements of war the skilled artisan's turned their talents to more artistic and hopefully more lucrative pursuits.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

silversurfer1947 wrote:Have a look on YouTube for Dave Youngquist face painting. The videos helped me with my figure painting. Of course, it also helps if you have a degree of artistic talent, which I do not.
A truly useful, tip Richard, many thanks. :thumbup: It helps massively that his scale of choice is 1/16, and that he's also very articulate and- happily for me- free of 'uptalk' (Rising terminal) and other infuriating, trendy, speech pattern deviations. :D

I'd almost forgotten, that I actually have an 'A' level in Art- but I took it so, so, so long ago, along with a host of other exams, that the papers were all written in runes. :lolno: One paper was in the history of Art and Architecture, and the other was pictorial composition. For composition, we were expected to be able to paint landscapes, bowls of fruit, drapes, still lives, etc.,(anything but humans) with watercolours, or tempera paints and gouache.
Looking back through the mists of time, I've forgotten much of what I learned. If not all :|
However, faces weren't on the curriculum. :problem: Thus, this is all really like going back to school- but with crappy eyesight, and disobedient fingers. Then there's trying to remember that green's made of blue and yellow, etc. I mean- the absolute basics of colour combinations.
I really enjoyed Fine Art, especially architectural history. However, when I toddled off to Uni sporting my hippy hair, patched jeans, and 'I Ching' ,the brushes were never touched again, sadly. Who knows, with the brushes and acrylics I've bought lately, I might even paint a nervous apple, and have it as a tank commander. :haha: Or, I might add to existing hobbies with a bit of Daler board daubing. I've even been following calming repeats of Rob Ross' 'The Joy of Painting on the box. Who knows?- but anyway, at least no-one's marking my efforts these days. :thumbup: Just as well. :thumbup:
phpBB [video]
As for tank figures, well, my goal is to improve just a little bit on 'Crazy Joe, at the least'...or, I'll leave my tanks 'unmanned' :haha:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

“all written in runes”! Ha ha ha :haha: I just blew coffee out of nose.
I always say that they didn’t have history class when I went to school because nothing had happened yet.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Jimster wrote:“all written in runes”! Ha ha ha :haha: I just blew coffee out of nose.
I always say that they didn’t have history class when I went to school because nothing had happened yet.
:clap: :haha: I just hope it was: (A)- a great filter coffee...and
(B)- you won't blame me for the ensuing hard-to-remove- (even with expletives)..stains :lolno:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I smelled coffee all day at work and my January desk calendar is a bit speckled. Covid be damned. 8)
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

There is also this series of videos. The first one is purely about painting eyes.
phpBB [video]
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

silversurfer1947 wrote:There is also this series of videos. The first one is purely about painting eyes.
phpBB [video]
Yes, Richard. I saw it. :thumbup: It was interesting that he found it helpful to paint one of the eyes in an inverted position (The model, not the artist :lolno: ) Other videos in the set; those on painting faces, are equally full of useful tips, curiosities, and eventually- of course, results so accomplished that they make the prospect of having a go all the more daunting. :problem: :D
Well- here's my first effort:
It's the Panzer 'snowflake', Hauptmann Von Schreck. As you can see, he can't stand the sound of that mean old 88 mm Cannon being fired. :D All he needs now is an M43 feldmutze and an Iron Cross 2nd class...and well, a tank. Then again, he does look a tad too much like a cousin of 'Crazy Joe'. :think: So, it's back to the drawing board.
Edit: I should add, of course, in the extremely unlikely event that you don't recognise the Screaming figure (not my handiwork :haha: )- it has been extracted from 'The Scream' by crazed Norwegian imbiber, Edvard Munch. In reality, it probably represents the biggest hallucinatory hangover anyone has ever experienced- but minus the 'Pink Elephants'.
Anyway, today, I got a set of Vallejo paints- three key tones of which are used our Youtube maestro. Having already written down the shades he favours most, I can now begin to disappoint myself as early as tomorrow. :D
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Thu Jan 07, 2021 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by EAO »

43rdRR,

Good luck with the painting; nothing ventured, nothing gained! :haha: In this previous post I discussed with the good Herr Dr. my admission about never painting ANY figures ever! It seems I realized my incompetence at an early age! :/

Postby EAO » Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:05 pm

Herr Dr.,

Very fine I do say, from one Wisconsinite to another!

I've never tried painting figures before. I can only imagine the humorous mess I'd make of it. It would probably look like some "streetwalker" with way too much make up on over the "fish belly white skin"! Something you couldn't unsee!

Just yesterday I was looking at two static airplane kits I built as a late teenager (amazing they've survived several cross country moves), and realized that I never, ever attempted painting the pilots. Most of the planes were hung from the ceiling all sans pilots! I was just thinking how odd that looked. I guess as a kid you just really didn't care?!

At any rate, fine craft! :thumbup:

Cheers,
Eric.

To further blow one's mind, this came up on my Google feed: https://mymodernmet.com/dioramas-hank-cheng/
Another one of those HOW? moments! :O :wtf: :crazy:

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Well, here are three test torsos I'm working on. Oddly, when looking at then anew, I noticed that they're all doing Tommy Cooper's trademark "Just like that!! ''... gesture. (For those old enough, or British enough, to remember his unique performances)

There's more detailing on the uniforms, and then the scary bit- giving the faces more expression; although I've already started that- albeit gingerly (and I don't mean the hair).
One has his cap back to front, periscope style. In fact, I've seen pics of U-Boat captains with the cap's peak at the back- baseball style- when looking in the periscope. The peak gets in the way, and it would have on the Jagdpanther scopes as well, I imagine.
The throat microphone gets in the way, on these Tamiya figures, and so I've tried to remove it. :think:

The moustache is a tribute to Charlie Chaplin- honest! ;) :haha:

Here's a pic I've just found of one of Tommy's "Just like that!!" ... moments: :D

Return to “General Questions”