Anyone know the RAL colour for this?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
43rdRecceReg
Major

Anyone know the RAL colour for this?

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I'm trying to find the RAL number, and colour designation, for the 1939-45 Iron Cross medal ribbon. I've been building- even scratch-building tanks now for five years, but have never tried populating my tracked steeds with figures. None that I've painted, that is. ;)
So....it's time for the fine Tamiya brushes, and the illuminated mega-Loupe. However, whilst I now have a set of panzer uniform colours- there are a few colours I can't replicate. :problem:
The red used in the Medal ribbon is one that has stumped me. It varies (as all colours do) with light conditions; but it looks like a type of scarlet, with Heinz Tomato Soup thrown in (but not literally :lolno: ).
The same colour is used on the ubiquitous bullseye type cap badge. The one here is from a German Police hat, but it looks the same sort of shade.
Ignore the figure top-right. That's just some initial (unrefined) detail t be painted over. :)
Soldiers often wore the Iron Cross ribbon from the second buttonhole down.
In the rummaging process, I also came across this useful figure daubing website:-

https://www.panzermodels.co.uk/blogs/ne ... ejo-paints
with Panzer crew colours (Vallejo) 1939-45:

Panzer Crew 1939-1945
Field Cap: Neutral Grey V70.992
Beret: Black V70.950
Officer Cap: German Uniform V70.920
Cap/Tunic/Trousers: Black V70.950 / Grey V70.994
Waffenfarbe: Sunset Red V70.802
Belt/Boots: Black V70.950 / Grey V70.994
Shirt/Gloves: Neutral Grey V70.992
and the Panzer Uniform detailed for a 1939 Leutnant. Handy, yes, but I'm looking for 1944-45 vintage :)
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Re: Anyone know the RAL colour for this?

Post by Jimster »

I cannot help you but your photos are cool. It would be fun to try on a German tanker uniform like that one. Just for the hell of it.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Jimster wrote:I cannot help you but your photos are cool. It would be fun to try on a German tanker uniform like that one. Just for the hell of it.
:D I bet if we did a poll, to find out which WW2 Army had the coolest uniforms (and no, I don't mean Winter kit)- most would probably say German. :D
I think, however, that the stereotypical Gestapo leather coat and black outfit appeal to those with unrequited dominance tendencies :D That said, I always rather fancied the black Luftwaffe leather flying jacket, as worn by Hardy Krüger playing Franz Von Werra in 'The one that got away'. (1957, a somewhat embroidered tale of derring-do, involving Luftwaffe POW escapee Lt. Von Werra).

I used to use my German M43 Stahlhelm as a hardhat, for D-I-Y outdoor building jobs. Honestly. That was until the neighbours began to titter. :lolno:
Yes, the tanker kit would be great for car maintenance, but I'd not want to get too much grease on it. Moreover, the iron cross and combat insignia would probably get me outfitted with a tartan straitjacket. :crazy:

I guess if you're a Panzer re-enactor, you can get away with it :shh:

I'm using this pic as basis for my Jagdpanther commander:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I wouldn’t mind having the one piece German coveralls seen on some Eastern Front tankers. Like the one my loader wears on my Leningrad Tiger.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I am aware that many uniforms were designed by Hugo Boss back then. Look at this jokers tie !.............not what I would have figured to be a necessary accouterment for fighting a tank !

Perhaps when facing the British they felt the need to dress in a more formal way than when facing Russians or Americans :wtf:
Facing Kiwis or Aussies they could get away with shorts & a singlet while wearing jandals/Thongs or gumboots :haha: :haha:

Either way, the 'Panzerwrap' seems to have an air of sinister nobility about it for me.
Best of luck to you in the painting figure department mate, no way I can do it.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I very very seldom wear cologne but when I do it’s Hugo Boss. It’s amazing how many brands still exist that have nazi connections.
Now back to our regularly scheduled thread.
quitcherbitchen
Private

Post by quitcherbitchen »

You guys are too funny. I had to look up titter in the dictionary. Also, I forgot how young these kids were driving these Tanks around in designer uniforms. Thanks for the picture and the titter. :haha:
Heng Long Panzer III
How I learned to love the bomb
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

quitcherbitchen wrote:You guys are too funny. I had to look up titter in the dictionary. Also, I forgot how young these kids were driving these Tanks around in designer uniforms. Thanks for the picture and the titter. :haha:
:D :thumbup:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I still haven't found the RAL designation for the medal ribbon, however, I did discover something I was unaware of before, and it is that StuG crews didn't wear tough and Boss (literally :haha: ) black Panzer outfits. :) No, they wore this slightly more anaemic getup:
Lots of useful detail, nonetheless. Incidentally, I don't know whether 'Pink Colorisation' is a process or a movement. It's a great photo, though- considering it was taken so long ago. :thumbup:
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Sun Dec 20, 2020 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

StuG teams were part of the Artillery back early, so went with the Artillery type uniform apparently. "Sturmartillerie".
Either way, they are still very brave men/kids and did their duty as asked by their nation.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “General Questions”