St Andrew and Rattle Cans...

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
43rdRecceReg
Major

St Andrew and Rattle Cans...

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Well, it's St Andrew's Day up here in Scotland... and yes, any excuse will do for a slurp. ;) :D :haha: Personally, I'm far more interested in sinners, than saints. :shh:
Actually, you might not know it, but Andy is also the patron saint of Russia- another hard drinking nation, allegedly. Mind you, it would be hard to keep the old amber down if you're crucified upside down as Andrew was... :problem:
One of my neighbours decided to dress up his dummy again (something he does on notable days), and no- it's not ME. Maybe I'm a tad old school, but I think some stereotypes are worthy of a (non-malicious) laugh.
Rattle cans here, are often the empty ones with discarded ring-pulls inside them (as per the pic).
However, my question concerns the cans we use in the hobby, and in general D-I Y.
My Q: Has anyone noticed how it's impossible to empty some rattle cans fully, even with the requisite amount of shaking?
Maybe my shaking technique isn't what it once was, but I've found that it's almost impossible to spray the contents of some of WD-40 range of products out completely. It's almost as if there's not enough propellant. One large WD-40 can could only manage two squirts before I had to chuck it. (Yes, i could ask for a refund, but to use a modern idiom 'It's complicated' receiving and returning aerosols up here in the Highlands. Our Royal Mail won't handle spray cans at all.
I've also found the same problem- on an increasing basis with some Humbrol primer cans, and several other products. Tamiya paint cans, I'm glad to say, spary down to the last drop. I guess you could even crack 'em open and remove the free marbles. I wonder whether the switch from CFC's might have impacted propellant quality, or not? :problem:
I found a mention of the problem elsewhere:
https://thecabe.com/forum/threads/wd-40 ... 317/page-2
Note, the figure above really is a tailor's McDummy. It's not me
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
EAO
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: St Andrew and Rattle Cans...

Post by EAO »

43rdRecceReg,

I was hoping you had better legs than the "stiff" in your picture! :D :wave:

Cheers,
Eric.

P.S. Our "local" hero here in Missouri is one Mark Twain. He once said " I'd go to Heaven for the climate, and Hell for the company".
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
Estnische

Post by Estnische »

Bloody hell! What's that blue stuff at the top of your picture? Can't be sky, surely?
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

I can see why the Romans built that wall up there................took one look and just went "yeah, they're way too hard"
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

EAO wrote:43rdRecceReg,

I was hoping you had better legs than the "stiff" in your picture! :D :wave:

Cheers,
Eric.

P.S. Our "local" hero here in Missouri is one Mark Twain. He once said " I'd go to Heaven for the climate, and Hell for the company".
:haha: :thumbup: Well, I see you have a refreshing penchant for drollery yourself, Eric! I always enjoy your observations.
Yes, Old Sam Clemens was a master of the one-liners and, along with the painter Whistler, more than a match for Oscar Wilde on occasion. Sam once commented on German grammar, “In Germany,” Twain observes, “a young lady has no sex, while a turnip has,”
(Das Madchen and Die Steckrübe). Although the German spin-off, English, also once had three genders in Anglo-Saxon times...it should be said. A relict would be calling a ship
'She', as in the German, Die Schiffe.
During a party, Whistler made a humorous remark and the following statements were exchanged:
Oscar Wilde: "I wish I had said that!"
James McNeill Whistler: "You will, Oscar, you will!"

As for the pins, well, mine are so white, they have even known to dazzle folk on the International Space Station, and pose an hazard to (aeronautical) navigation.
So, for safety's sake, it's trews for me. :shh: :lolno:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Estnische wrote:Bloody hell! What's that blue stuff at the top of your picture? Can't be sky, surely?
Astounding though it is, Brett- yes, indeed. :D
But it will be dark by 4am. Moreover, it's way too cold for rattle cans today.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

HERMAN BIX wrote:I can see why the Romans built that wall up there................took one look and just went "yeah, they're way too hard"
They actually built TWO walls, HB, but we only get to hear about Hadrian's effort normally. Yep, my Pictish ancestors also used to paint themselves blue, with woad, and often sported tattoos. Mind you, apart from the blue face, they wouldn't look too much out of place among tattooed and perforated kids these days.
But- they were also much more violent :D
EAO

Post by EAO »

Hello Gents,

The humor here is outstanding. Once again I find myself smiling like a dog eating thistles! :haha: :clap: :thumbup: It would appear; to me at least, that this Forum is perhaps the best medicine for dealing with this turd of a year 2020.

And by the way 43rdRecceReg, I have noticed the issue with the WD-40 cans. :thumbdown:

Cheers,
Eric.
"You can always tell a German, you just can't tell him much." Anonymous.

German cars, German girls, German beer, German firearms, German Shepherds, German motorcycles... Not necessarily in that order though!

UP THE IRONS!
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

EAO wrote:Hello Gents,

The humor here is outstanding. Once again I find myself smiling like a dog eating thistles! :haha: :clap: :thumbup: It would appear; to me at least, that this Forum is perhaps the best medicine for dealing with this turd of a year 2020.

And by the way 43rdRecceReg, I have noticed the issue with the WD-40 cans. :thumbdown:

Cheers,
Eric.
:thumbup: :D :wave: ...and a timely reminder, Eric, that the thread really was about rattle-can robbery, and not men in skirts... ;)
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Rattle cans make awesome targets when they stop performing. Exploding red spray paint can be most satisfying in a dark way :think:

Return to “General Questions”