FIREFLY? WHAT HAVE i GOT HERE?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: FIREFLY? WHAT HAVE i GOT HERE?

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

dgsselkirk wrote:
43rdRecceReg wrote:
Exhibitedbrute wrote:That would certainly be the easiest option but the hull would still need to be extended, which I can provide measurement for from my own firefly
Only Fireflies based on the M4A4 hull (Vc) need to go to the chop shop. Hybrid (1c), and M4 (1c) don't need a longer chassis. In fact, the M4 Ic should just fit on the M4A3 lower hull. :think:
That's a precedent for leaving the hull/tub undoctored- should it be needed.
tis true... now just have to find those for reference... :D
Here's Tamiya's 1/48 scale M4 Sherman 1C Firefly. It's a pity they didn't offer a 1/16 version. :problem:

I guess, the only issue with using the M4A3 as the basis for an M4 !C would be the angle of the glacis plate. Otherwise, the lower hull wouldn't need much reconfiguration.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

Without knowing what variant it was, that’s the one I hoped to make out of this thing.
I will look around for a lower & if there is one available at a realistic price, I might still go ahead at some stage.
But, if anyone has a need for this thing I have, let me know.
I’d happily swap it for a couple of Russian figures
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Here's the M4 1c Firefly variant (Sherman 1, in British terms, HB). Someone here used the M4A3 chassis to build a Firefly. I cana't find the thread, but I know he had to alter the angle of the front glacis plate.
Other than that, you won't need to get the saw out.

There's a whole 46mb pdf of Fireflies to be downloaded here:
http://the.shadock.free.fr/Surviving_Panzers.html
Click on the "new! 'Shermans' new" link on the left, then scroll down the variant listings on the right. From the right column, there's a download link. The file's too large to upload here, but the pic I've just posted came from it. This one looks like it has the 'high bustle' type turret.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
dgsselkirk
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by dgsselkirk »

That is a real rare one, IC AND High Bustle turret...
"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

dgsselkirk wrote:That is a real rare one, IC AND High Bustle turret...
Just what I thought, Dean :D Apart from fitting a rectangular loader's hatch (not too much of a scratch challenge), a scratch built radio box (easy enough with styrene sheets), a new mantlet etc, the stock
airsoft or IR turret could be used. The later Cupola would be needed, but that's available as a metal accessory, I believe. Other tweaks are not beyond the average RCTW 'improver' :lolno:

If you download the Firefly file, you'll see pics of several M4 Ic's. There's even one with a 105mm gun fitted. :O It's all Firefly, except for the barrel and mantlet... :)
A couple more of the relatively rare M4 IC Fireflies:

The Shadock.free.fr pdf has loads more Fireflies in the 46mb download. I'd say it's an essential file for any Shermano-fanatics ;)
dgsselkirk

Post by dgsselkirk »

BUT the big one is making those small hatches and configuring them onto an M4A3 with the large flat hatches is truly a bitch! I know, I did one before I created my kits... :D
"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

43rdRecceReg wrote:Imagethe pic I've just posted came from it. This one looks like it has the 'high bustle' type turret.
Look again, that's a low bustle :thumbup:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Image High Bustle (75mm turret)
Image Low Bustle (75mm)

Looks high to me. :)
The majority of turrets fitted to the M4 (Sherman 1) were all high bustle, including those destined to morph into Ic Fireflies. In any event, using a high or low bustle turret to make an M4 Firefly conversion
seems valid. :thumbup:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Nope, that's a low bustle.
1. It has the downward slope at the top down towards the radio box.
2. There is only just enough clearance underneath.
3. Greater clearance wasn't introduced for small hatches like that one has.
4. Was only low bustle that needed the introduction of a loaders hatch, high bustle turrets came with loaders hatches. And that one has the British hatch addition.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Tiger6

Post by Tiger6 »

The majority of turrets fitted to the M4 (Sherman 1) were all high bustle
This is only true of M4 105's and M4 Composites. Small hatch M4's ceased production just the high bustle turret was introduced.

Return to “General Questions”