Best way of simulating periscope lenses?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
43rdRecceReg
Major

Best way of simulating periscope lenses?

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I've tried using bits of clear perspex in the past, with a backing colour- but does anyone have a tried and tested means of making Tank and AFV periscopes look convincingly glass-like?
This would also apply to vision blocks for the Driver and Commander's cupola.

These (taken from Rock Steady Militaria) are said to be real Tiger tank vision blocks:

This Tamiya Abrams has the sort of look I'd like for some jagdpanther periscope lenses/blocks. How can they be simulated?
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Best way of simulating periscope lenses?

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Schumo make periscope kits, for example, for the Tamiya Panther Ausf G:
They look okay, except that they should reflect light at certain angles. These just look like-well, grey bits of plastic. They need to have lustre. But how?
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

I used old film negatives cut to size.
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

I have no idea whether this is relevant, but it's worth a look. https://deluxematerials.co.uk/products/ ... lass-100ml
This works on top of plastic, I think.

There is also Mikro Krystal Klear, which can be used to create clear glass.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
Sub
Sergeant

Post by Sub »

Hi.
Fox's Glassier mints, suck em to right size... :lolno:

Or what my go to glue for such things is

Devcon 5 min clear epoxy, i use this to simulate anything that needs a deep glass effect, it sets crystal clear, just make up a mold, mix it up and pour it in, it self levels and has surface tension so if careful you can even get a convexed curvature on the outside.
It is not cheap but it is excellent stuff

Regards
Sub.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Jimster wrote:I used old film negatives cut to size.
Sounds like a good tip, Jim. However, I only have a few (pre-digital age) packs of negatives remaining, and they're irreplaceable. :problem:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Sub wrote:Hi.
Fox's Glassier mints, suck em to right size... :lolno:

Or what my go to glue for such things is

Devcon 5 min clear epoxy, i use this to simulate anything that needs a deep glass effect, it sets crystal clear, just make up a mold, mix it up and pour it in, it self levels and has surface tension so if careful you can even get a convexed curvature on the outside.
It is not cheap but it is excellent stuff

Regards
Sub.
Thanks, Sub. :D You know, I don't think I've tasted a Glacier Mint since the 1950's. Those were the days when teeth could be drilled without local anaesthetic, by something resembling a conveyor belt-powered Dremel. Yep, all those sweets had payback! Fox's Glacier Mints were very popular then, along with Murray mints. :D, and equally adept (but not as much as toffees) at pulling fillings out. 8O
A glacier mint, once sucked, also became pretty sticky- thus glue would be unnecessary. :)
However, the Devcon 5 sounds promising. Even though it sounds a bit like a countdown state to Mutually Assured Destruction. 8O
I suppose pigments, or dyes could be added to it, to add the tints found in some vision blocks and periscopes. :think:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

silversurfer1947 wrote:I have no idea whether this is relevant, but it's worth a look. https://deluxematerials.co.uk/products/ ... lass-100ml

Thanks, Richard!.. 'Looks like Glass' could be added to the surface of a Schumo periscope, I expect, with a good effect. However, the 'Mikro Krystal Klear' has greater potential, I think :thumbup:
phpBB [video]

The suggestion is that it's good for windows up to 1/4" square. For periscopes, it would have to do a wee bit more than that, but I'll certainly check it out. :thumbup:
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

43rdRecceReg wrote:
silversurfer1947 wrote:I have no idea whether this is relevant, but it's worth a look. https://deluxematerials.co.uk/products/ ... lass-100ml

Thanks, Richard!.. 'Looks like Glass' could be added to the surface of a Schumo periscope, I expect, with a good effect. However, the 'Mikro Krystal Klear' has greater potential, I think :thumbup:
phpBB [video]

The suggestion is that it's good for windows up to 1/4" square. For periscopes, it would have to do a wee bit more than that, but I'll certainly check it out. :thumbup:
I have only used the Mikro Krystal Klear for a pair of 1/16 goggles, but have found it very good. It looks odd on application as it is white, but dries clear. For the goggles, I used a cocktail stick to draw it across the full aperture.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
B_Man
Corporal

Post by B_Man »

Krystal Klear is good stuff. For the spotlight on my Jumbo I put a small LED in the back and then filled the whole thing with Krystal Klear and it looks the goods. For periscopes I just cut pieces of clear plastic from that hard packaging that everything seems to come in these days and glue it in with Krysytal Klear. Paint the back with a translucent Vallejo paint in the shade of your choice and the jobs done.

Return to “General Questions”