Heng Long M1A2 Abrams cannon not responding

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Heng Long M1A2 Adams cannon not responding

Post by Jofaur86 »

Exactly :D a lot of worries come from a badly charged battery,or HS ,especially with the original ones ,and their chargerv 8O which is not one ?but a common transformer and 4 diodes >:< also be certain battery?
burniefloyd
Recruit

Post by burniefloyd »

Hello all,
Thanks for all your help so far. The last few days have been busy but I was able to dig in again today and get a look at the main gun.

I remove the airsoft mechanism and disassembled it. I must say it was helpful for now I have an understanding of how the mechanism works.The grease inside was a bit sticky and resembled ear wax. I didn't think it was the issue but I cleaned it out and replaced it with white lithium grease it start d working! The motor spins pretty fast and makes a pretty district sound so I don't think I actually heard it before.

I do have a new issue, now that the airsoft is firing the plastic BB's they only go about 3ft out of the barrel and they have no velocity. Is this an issue with the spring being worn out? Any thoughts on what else I should check?
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Greetings Sir!

I hope you get the electronics sorted out. :thumbup:

Just for accuracy you should go bad to your original post and edit the title to read "Abrams" not "Adams". ;)

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
burniefloyd
Recruit

Post by burniefloyd »

BarryC wrote:Greetings Sir!

I hope you get the electronics sorted out. :thumbup:

Just for accuracy you should go bad to your original post and edit the title to read "Abrams" not "Adams". ;)

Barry
Thanks for pointing that out. Can I blame it on spell check :{ ? Really, I am not THAT tank ignorant :shifty:
Jofaur86

Re: Heng Long M1A2 Abrams cannon not responding

Post by Jofaur86 »

Hello :D
several concerns? error when reassembling the mechanism, to be checked, plastic piston pierced, or slide not well, position of the spring when reassembling, (stuck?) also check the presence of a small hole on the barrel, mechanism side, must be on top
burniefloyd
Recruit

Post by burniefloyd »

Hi Jofaur,
I know when I assembled it the hole in the barrel is pointed down. I initially thought it lined up with the screw on the underside of the hill but when I saw the barrel wasn't all the way in I slide the barrel in further but left the hole downwards.
Thanks!
I will check the rest of the assembly when I fix the hole.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

You're doing the right things from an investigative (and learning) point of view. Have a look at these videos from a former (and valued IOM) member of RCTW.
They'll help with detailed knowledge. Incidentally, it is possible to buy a replacement airsoft Firing Unit, without buying the entire gun (see link below- for Forgebear). Do bear in mind, that one of the prime causes of a malfunction is the microswitch (a sort of contact breaker) on the base of the gun.
phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

https://www.forgebeartanks.com/store/p1 ... Tank_.html
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

I do not see what this kind of "circuit breaker" is on the mechanism, our friend talks about a problem, which means that the ball is not exploded with force, so think more about mechanical problems, personally I would change the together instead of bothering :thumbup:
Jofaur86

Post by Jofaur86 »

I do not see what this kind of "circuit breaker" is on the mechanism, our friend talks about a problem, which means that the ball is not exploded with force, so think more about mechanical problems, personally I would change the together instead of bothering :thumbup:
burniefloyd
Recruit

Post by burniefloyd »

Thank you for the video links. They helped confirm what poking around the insides seemed to suggest.

I disassembled to rotate the barrel and noticed it had holes on both sides. I reseated it and reassembled to test and the bb fired further than last time (about 15 feet into the wall) but there wasn't much velocity behind it.
I disassembled it again to check the sewting of the spring and runner seal. The spring looked some, I inspected the seal and it looked ok so I reassembled the unit. My test fire hit the wall and ricochet back at me so the velocity is now there! I think the rubber seal needed to be reseated with the barrel as perhaps I had not insrted the barrel in all the way.

I want to thank you all for your help again, I really appreciate it!
Hopefully the post office will stop driving the new gearboxes in circles around my house and I can get those installed.

Return to “General Questions”