Early Tamiya King Tiger Clutch help

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
qatmix
Recruit

Early Tamiya King Tiger Clutch help

Post by qatmix »

Hi All,

I am slowly getting an original Tamiya King Tiger up and running. The main issue I have is that when I move the arm to engage the clutch, they do not disengage. The extra force just slows down the overall tank speed as the movement of the left or right shaft is pushing against the external friction pad.

Is there any way to free up the clutch? I assume I would need to open the black plastic cases that hold them up? Or is there a technique to free them up? I have made a search on this forum and there is not a lot of detail about it, other than one post saying engage the clutch and tap it to free it.. Which is a bit vague.

Any help appreciated
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Re: Early Tamiya King Tiger Clutch help

Post by jhamm »

Hi,
look at the Downloads..
downloads/
there you find the Manual for Tamiya King Tiger.
It describes how the clutch is adjusted.
qatmix
Recruit

Post by qatmix »

Thanks for the link, I already have the manual. So at the moment if it does not stop one of the tracks I am safe to assume that the clutch is not disengaging. even though it it being pressed a lot (I am using my hand on the arm to ensure they are pushed in). There isn't anything in the manual that explains what to do in that case (It only talks about them not moving enough to disengage, which in this case they are moving a lot).

When I move the arm to stop the left or right track, both tracks slow down), so there is some friction.
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

just my 2 cents
No one uses this transmission anymore.
It's difficult to adjust, the tank drives crappy with it
and it takes up too much space.
Look at the HL tanks, how easy it can be

Return to “General Questions”