Detail parts question

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
LordPanzer
Lance Corporal

Detail parts question

Post by LordPanzer »

Morning my fellow tankers. Question for you here. I had an order from Mr Modellbau for a few pieces and these caught my eye while browsing their site. Out of curiosity and thinking I may use them at some point I ordered them and just arrived today. From the online pictures I was thinking they could be removed and used on cast hulls and turrets. But not that I'm seeing them up close I'm not sure. What do you all think these are for ? Image

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Detail parts question

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Hi LP, not a direct answer to your question on the one's you bought I'm afraid but what I have used in the past if I needed cast markings are these model railroad numbers & letters. They come in a variety of sizes, I've seen some as small as 2mm in height and they are very easy to snip from the sprue, hope this may be of some help to you :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee. Image

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

Stamps for numerical and alphabetical detailing
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
Exhibitedbrute

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

Or alternatively and in this case more likely they are for the purpose of casting dates and numbers and like the bolts are designed to be cut and applied to lets say a Sherman split transmission cover or turret casting
LordPanzer
Lance Corporal

Post by LordPanzer »

Exhibitedbrute wrote:Or alternatively and in this case more likely they are for the purpose of casting dates and numbers and like the bolts are designed to be cut and applied to lets say a Sherman split transmission cover or turret casting
Thats what I was thinking. Will take a sturdy hand and sharp blade to slice these off as needed.

Exhibitedbrute

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

Certainly will
dgsselkirk

Post by dgsselkirk »

Yep, do it all the time when I am creating masters... :-)
"There are things in Russia which are not as they seem..."
Georgy Konstantinovich Zhukov
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

When cutting small things like these off sprues, I would recommend putting the sprue on some sticky tape. Experience has shown that very small items behave like a jack in the box when you make the cut. I have lost track of the number of small parts that have leapt off my worktop into the blackhole that lurks in my hobby room.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
LordPanzer
Lance Corporal

Post by LordPanzer »

silversurfer1947 wrote:When cutting small things like these off sprues, I would recommend putting the sprue on some sticky tape. Experience has shown that very small items behave like a jack in the box when you make the cut. I have lost track of the number of small parts that have leapt off my worktop into the blackhole that lurks in my hobby room.
Best advise yet!! Thanks!

BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Here's how I remove these type of details.

I take one of the double edge razor saw blades and put a strip of double side tape on the blade then a short length of plastic "H" stock and stick it to it. You could use a "T" shaped piece of stock I just happen to have the "H" shape.

Lying it flat against then sprue I saw through horizontally removing the wanted detail. It allows for a very controlled process. You can use a single edge razor blade but experience has taught me my fingers are more important than the time I might save!

:thumbup:
Barry
Last edited by BarryC on Wed Sep 02, 2020 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci

Return to “General Questions”