Olive Drab Paint

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Olive Drab Paint

Post by Kaczor »

Well, not touched lend lease tanks was in original colour, when modified i.e. to Firefly, it was painted with British paints.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Kaczor wrote:Well, not touched lend lease tanks was in original colour, when modified i.e. to Firefly, it was painted with British paints.
That makes it even worse, I'm working on having both. But, at least my Tamiya paint won't go to waste.
And thank you Mr Kaczor for what seems an obvious conclusion about lend lease tanks :thumbup:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

jarndice wrote:
Son of a gun-ner wrote:Oh no, this thread is giving me a headache.

You mean to say, I need a different olive drab for my British Sherman's, and the Tamiya rattle cans I purchased are the wrong shade :'(
Your Tamiya cans are fine if you are using them on British Armour but you might want to use Vallejo or Humbrol on American Armour or vise versa.
Otherwise they will all look the same :O :haha:
:crazy:

At the risk of throwing a Spaniard into the works (....Vallejo..that is :D ). Tamiya don't do SCC- 15, which is notionally the correct Olive Drab shade for British vehicles for 1944-1945. Tamiya rattle cans are for
US vehicles. The British colour is darker than the US version, and is not available in any rattle-can I'm familiar with. I bought it from MIG in 17 ml bottles
The Zaloga article asks more questions than it answers, in fact. It certainly left me feeling bemused. However, one of the most curious things about it is that he uses British spellings for 'colour', etc., throughout etc. :D
Irrespective of the pigments and formulae (formulas- US) used, it's an odd phenomenon that identical shades look different relative to scale size. Ambient and seasonal light also impact on the visual dynamics. Then again, just to add to the variance factor, fresh factory paint will fade quicker in sunnier climes (Italy, for instance- or Kursk in hot Summer), than in the North West of Europe in Autumn and WInter. Thus, I'm coming to the view that so long as one is happy with the shades, and camo options one has gone for- and that these have a basis in historical accuracy- then all's fair in paint and war.
Incidentally, the plural of Sherman is Shermans, and not the possessive 'Sherman's'- that would be for: the 'Sherman's limited 75mm gun', or the 'Sherman's Ronson tendency'. :D Hope that helps. :D
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Hi Roy, as you quite rightly pointed out, real world colours could end up looking far differently than say for instance on a 1/35 scale model. I think as long as it represents the colour that you are aiming for and looks good to the eye it will work. As you also pointed out, weather exposure and the theater of operation it was used in will have a dramatic effect. On a side note I recently bought two rattle spray cans of olive drab which were the same product number and from the same manufacturer yet the one can came out slightly darker than the other :crazy: so it shows that the colour can not only vary between different brands but even within their own mixing process :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
LordPanzer
Lance Corporal

Post by LordPanzer »

I have an up coming Sherman build myself and have started to think of paint schemes. Normally myself to add some color modulation and slight differences I always started with pre shading with black and white and with light coats of the color i chose can show some different color tones. Also adding a drop or 2 of a lighter shade of that paint to highlight and slightly change the color also helps. Lots of different techniques for sure and I'm no expert. I tend to go to YouTube so I'm visually able to see and follow along to learn new techniques. Many great channel out there.

Check out this video. Lots of great tips to build on here.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... zlbKmyPoD8

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

Zaloga mentioned that OD change color (colour?) ;) depending on light condition. Here ie example of three photos of the same restored Sherman. I like first to be honest ;)
Attachments
003Sherman-M4A1-web2.jpg
002NN3A6083.JPG
001M4A1-Sherman.jpg
Ad Lav
Captain

Post by Ad Lav »

Another three of my friends vehicles, similar ages and restored within the last 20/25 years. Colours differ on angles and and curves too.

Don’t get too ott with the colour. Pick what you like, that’s what I do ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LordPanzer
Lance Corporal

Post by LordPanzer »

https://www.themodellingnews.com/2018/0 ... s.html?m=1

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Afrikakorps
Corporal

Post by Afrikakorps »

Don’t get too ott with the colour. Pick what you like, that’s what I do
Thus, I'm coming to the view that so long as one is happy with the shades, and camo options one has gone for- and that these have a basis in historical accuracy- then all's fair in paint and war.
With so many variations to the same colour, simply pick the shade of green that you like most and don't worry about being too historicaly correct. Pretty much the summary of what I said previously. :thumbup:
Panzer III G
Sherman M4A3 (105)
T-34/76 (1942)
Panzer IV Wirbelwind
Sturmtiger
KV-2
M26 Pershing
T-34/76 (1943)
KV-1
M3 Lee
Ferdinand / Elephant
M16 Half-track
Panther G
M4a1 (75mm)
M41 Walker Bulldog
JS-2
M4a3e8 (76mm)
Japanese Type94
FT-17
Tiger 1
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

Ad Lav wrote:Another three of my friends vehicles, similar ages and restored within the last 20/25 years. Colours differ on angles and and curves too.

Don’t get too ott with the colour. Pick what you like, that’s what I do ;)
You´re absolute right. :thumbup:

Return to “General Questions”