Olive Drab Paint

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Olive Drab Paint

Post by Kaczor »

Hello. I wonder what is your favourite color for late war US Olive Drab? I'm looking for acrylic paint, straight out of the bottle, without mixing if possible. Tamiya XF-62 is too green for me.

I know that there was dozens of producers of paints, and seeing tons of pictures it seems there where brownish-olive drab, greenish-olive drab and greyish-olive drab :crazy:
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Olive Drab Paint

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Hi Kaczor, olive drab is just basically a mixture of black and yellow, there's not a lot to it ;) if you are airbrushing XF-62 just add a couple of drops of nato black to darken it a little and just add some flat yellow to the XF-62 to lighten it for any areas that you wish to highlight. If you take a look on YouTube there are a couple of useful tutorials, the one that comes to mind is by 'Andy's hobby headquarters' if you get a chance check it out, I know this is not a direct answer to your question of finding it straight out of a bottle but I hope it helps :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

I use olive drab spray tins, and where that’s to dark for example British tanks I use olive green or mid bronze green. Should I do a Canadian tank then it will be mid or dark bronze green depending on what I’m making
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

I was recently impressed by the Vallejo Olive Drab, available in large bottles, going strait into the airbrush and no clogging.
Vallejo Olive drab
Vallejo Olive drab
capture 3.jpg (79.36 KiB) Viewed 4550 times
Kaczor

Post by Kaczor »

Thank you all for answers.

I have terrible experience with Vallejo Primer - paint peeled off.
Herr Dr. Professor
Lieutenant

Post by Herr Dr. Professor »

The subject of Olive Drab will entertain you for hours, until you go cuckoo for cocoapuffs. :crazy: Steve Zaloga is one of those most often cited on the matter. The URL given below includes Zaloga's evaluation of various model paints companies' versions. I use ModelMaster spray bombs and bottles with airbrush, but I understand that these may soon be discontinued. (Am I correct?)

Kaczor

Post by Kaczor »

Yes, I've read it some time ago, that is why I tried Tamiya XF-62, but it seems they changed formula and now is too green.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Using Humbrols little Acrylic tins of Olive Drab produces a shade that is marginally browner than the WPL Olive Drab on their trucks.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

jarndice wrote:Using Humbrols little Acrylic tins of Olive Drab produces a shade that is marginally browner than the WPL Olive Drab on their trucks.
I use the Humbrol rattle cans. The colour is very close to the US Olive Drab, I think. :| Too close for me, in fact, as I used it as a stopgap on my Comet and Cromwell projects. That was until I found MIG produces the correct 1944 vintage Brit Olive Drab (SCC-15) I need for the Comet. Anyway, for what it's worth, I think that the Humbrol shade is just about right for Yankee vehicles. What's more, the Humbrol acrylic tins work as smoothly as Tamiya's offerings- and cost less.
Here's the Humbrol take on Yankee Drab.
and MIG's Brit Drab:
https://www.migjimenez.com/en/acrylic-c ... drab-.html
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Another olive drab option that you may like to consider if you go the rattle can route Kaczor is 'Vallejo's model hobby spray paint' I used this recently for the base coat on my Dukw build. It comes in a large 400ml can at a good price so it is excellent value for money, the downside to it is that I've only found one or two seller's that carry it here in the UK and they don't always have stock :( I have seen it advertised quite regularly from Poland and Italy though :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.Image

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:

Return to “General Questions”