Olive Drab Paint

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Olive Drab Paint

Post by Kaczor »

Afrikakorps wrote:simply pick the shade of green that you like most and don't worry about being too historicaly correct.
True. I ended with ordering bunch of different OD paints from online shop. I will make comparison between MIG, Valleyo, Gunze and Model Master and I choose what I like the best.
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

So very true about color variances! My Tiger has more different shades of gray than my hair and beard.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

43rdRecceReg wrote:Incidentally, the plural of Sherman is Shermans, and not the possessive 'Sherman's'- that would be for: the 'Sherman's limited 75mm gun', or the 'Sherman's Ronson tendency'. :D Hope that helps. :D
You're always picking on my phone's predictive text :'( you're such a Grammar Nazi. . . .
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Kaczor »

PainlessWolf wrote:Good Afternoon,
I can heartily recommend Model Masters Olive Drab in the rattlecan. #FS1911 I've used it for years in conjunction with Model Masters Enamel Flats. The results are amazingly realistic looking.
regards,
Painless
Hello. I've tried today this paint and color is spot on for my taste! Thank you!
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good afternoon!
I'm glad the paint worked out for you. I've been pleased with it for some years now and several Builds worth.
regards,
Painless
Attachments
Fresh off of the spray table with a couple of coats of Model Masters Flat Lacquer..jpg
Fresh off of the spray table with a couple of coats of Model Masters Flat Lacquer..jpg
In The Mood is In The Mood
In The Mood is In The Mood
...Here for the Dawn...
Martin2556
Lance Corporal

Post by Martin2556 »

Tamiya spray cans, (top photo - dark olive drab - TS 5 / bottom photo - light olive drab - TS 28).
Both have been lightly weathered using enamel paints & sealed with acrylic matt clear.
Attachments
Tamiya 1/16 Sherman - light olive drab TS 28
Tamiya 1/16 Sherman - light olive drab TS 28
Tamiya 1/16 Sherman - dark olive drab TS 5
Tamiya 1/16 Sherman - dark olive drab TS 5
JeremyB
Recruit

Post by JeremyB »

Hi Guys

I was going to start a new thread but searched and found this one that I hope is okay to ask in.

Generally how many cans of tamiya would be needed to base coat one tank? I am thinking of going this route when I do my pershing

Thanks
Jeremy
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Jeremy bearing in mind the Acrylic thinners to clean any grease and finger prints off of your Tank and the Metal Primer needed to paint every piece of metal on your Tank and then the Undercoat,
Red or Grey Oxide from a car accessory store (Half the Price and twice the Quantity) but change the spray head to a Tamiya rattle can head,
You should allow at least 6 Tamiya Rattle cans for a decent covering of olive drab,
I would suggest 4 cans if it were Humbrol and very little paint at all if you were using an airbrush.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
JeremyB
Recruit

Post by JeremyB »

wow really? i was thinking it would only be 3. I do have a airbrush but dont know if im confident enough to base coat the tank
Martin2556
Lance Corporal

Post by Martin2556 »

Hi Jeremy, I used half a rattle can of automotive self etch primer on all the metal parts & 3 Tamiya rattle cans for one tank.
Cheers Martin

Return to “General Questions”