Did Tigers Have Horns?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Jimster
Lieutenant

Did Tigers Have Horns?

Post by Jimster »

Always seeking to improve the realism for my Tiger through questions and web searches but I want to hear from our resident experts. My Elmod sound card has a horn sound available and I use it as a “user sound” but I’m starting to doubt Tigers even had a horn after reading a sketchy internet piece. I would love to free up that sound slot (there is only 24 slots available) for a more useful sound effect but I wanted to run this question by our esteemed tank gurus before I eliminate the horn sound. Thanks in advance for any info about this seldom mentioned and probably very unimportant topic.
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Did Tigers Have Horns?

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

I believe Tiger, King Tiger, Panther and late Panzer IV did not have horns. Probably because it did not have a lot of use and not fitting it saved resources and time.

BUT I love the horn function. Years ago I been to a local RC event with mostly trucks, and I found the horn was a need when driving in the diorama. Most trucks and vehicles did not move when playing machine guns, cannon or even the tank commander shouting and it was a tad frustrating. As soon as I arrived home I fitted the horn function in my Panzer IV, and fitted both, a horn and a super loud siren in my Sherman.

Next meeting with the same people was another story. When driving in the crowded scale city and playing the horn other vehicles let me pass and interacted much more and better with my tanks, so I wont remove that sound from my tanks under any circumstance. In fact, even when my Panzer IV did not come with the horn part I am sourcing a plastic heng long part like our Painless Wolf did, so it will be phisically there. It seems I am never going to finish that build, lol!

Anyway I think it adds more diversity to the sounds and it is kinda fun. For the fun of it I even added this to my son's sherman:

phpBB [video]

That later I replaced with a Dixie horn version. But finally I placed the normal horn and the siren. But even if I dont go to a meeting again, Ill keep it because it is definitely usefull and cool. Dont let historical accuracies kill the fun!
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Did Tigers Have Horns?

Post by jarndice »

Every now and then a USAF Globemaster heavy transport would land to deliver the Team who serviced the Arming mechanism for the "BOMBs" :shh: that were part of the armoury in the wood across from the runway, British Bonbs, American Detonators :crazy:
I don't know how he did it but the crewchief had rigged up a Bull horn to an Amplifier and as it taxied past the hangers the ROAR would be echoing across the airfield making the younger element of the different services present laugh and getting right up the nose of the more senior personell,
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “General Questions”