Tank mods

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Potato_coleslaw
Recruit

Tank mods

Post by Potato_coleslaw »

I recently purchased a T 34-85, doing some research i found lots of pictures of tanks that had been modded with various different parts, is it standard to do this to tanks?

Sorry if this is a weird question
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Tank mods

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

Hello and welcome. I have a few t34 based tanks so what sort of mods are we talking about here
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
Potato_coleslaw
Recruit

It is a Heng Long tank and i am talking about visual mods
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

As its your tank, it can be modded any way you like. I tend to use real photos from tanks of the day to base mine on where possible.
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85
Potato_coleslaw
Recruit

Thank you for the feedback
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Lots of various types of tanks that survived battles during the war had modifications and upgrades to either bring them up to date or improve them. Also the crews would do various alterations to their tanks.
Therefore, you can do a variety of the mods you've seen to personalise your own model. Unless you want to make it accurate for a particular time or battle, which I'm sure people here can help you with that kind of historical accuracy :thumbup:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Internet searches for tank images that interests you the most is a great way to get stated. That’s what started me along my way. That way you know what detail items to buy, tank modifications to make and decals, or better yet stencils, to buy. Our own Rad_Schuhart produces great custom stencils by the way.
Exhibitedbrute

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

T34 had any number of mods ranging from bed frames as extra protection to logs or welded on track links, but I’m not sure how many would have used these types of field mods.

The most common practice when viewing photos for mine seemed to be logs so that’s what I decided to go for
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
Soeren

Post by Soeren »

Maybe you are also referring to inaccuracies in the HL model? These can easily be overcome with attention to pictures of the real thing. Also a well detailed model kit can be a good reference as well.
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Jofaur86 »

Return to “General Questions”