HL Tanks & Batteries

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Rhat33
Recruit

HL Tanks & Batteries

Post by Rhat33 »

Good Afternoon All,

Firstly I wish to apologise for raising an age old subject about batteries. I have been looking through the forums and have tried to get to a point where I can get the right amp/voltage for my tanks

Currently I have an old HL Tiger 1 with a SC 1700mAH 7.2v battery - which even showing has over 7.2v, will not power all the bits (airsoft and turret raise) via the upgraded Taigen mfu. I know that they work as I have by-passed the mfu and tried it using a standard battery connecting to the multi-cable lead (shock horror gasp I hear ?)

I also have a HL Challenger 2 with a SC 2000mah 7.2v - which I really don't want to take apart as it looks too good...this isn't firing at the moment

3rd - I have a HL T-90 with a Super Li-Ion 7.4v 1800mah battery.

All came with the tanks

So, my question is, what is the best 'size' battery to use ? - I've read so many different opinions, its hard to grasp in my small mind, what is the best !

Cheers in advance
Jofaur86
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: HL Tanks & Batteries

Post by Jofaur86 »

Hello :D
If the original batteries ? It is Nicd...and certainly at the end,of its lifes ? I recommend Nimh and a good chargeur :thumbup: not the original one wich is a vulgar power supply :thumbdown:
IMG_6529.PNG
Chargeur :thumbup:
IMG_6530.JPG
IMG_6530.JPG (96.27 KiB) Viewed 1799 times
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

I recommend the charger shown above and the NiMh Overlander Tornado range sold by Jadlam models (UK based). These come in modest to high mah types, are plug compatible and great value. They have their own website and are on ebay
Regarding the T-90 battery, this is a Li-ion 2 cell pack of the same voltage. The packs supplied with the tank are good cells but lower mah capacity. You can buy new Li-ion cells and make your own packs up but l've yet to find a good, honestly branded higher mah product out there.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Rhat33
Recruit

Post by Rhat33 »

You sir, are a star. Thats exactly the sort of info l was after.
Is there a particular brand of battery you would recommend or should l just go via reviews ?
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Here’s a screenshot of the Ebay page I ordered mine from. These were recommended to me by Rad. I love them and they last several days of after work tank driving in my backyard. I haven’t actually measured their exact time used before needing recharged but its a big improvement over stock Heng Long style batteries. One of the best upgrades I’ve made. These are enough to to make two 2cell battery packs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

So. After forgetting to turn off my transmitter today after doing some maintenance I think my lipo has had it. It looks quite swollen across the top and bottom so has been put outside in its fire bag just in case and I doubt I will run the risk of charging it. So I need to buy another. Since I can’t remember where I bought that one anyone know a good supplier
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Come on, man. Switch to Lithium Ion.
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

They better than lipo
It’s your tank it’s what you make it