Tiger 1 late wheels and idlers

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Tiger 1 late wheels and idlers

Post by ronnie42 »

Been looking for late wheels and idlers with bearings , nothing crops up. Did anyone ever make them ?
tomhugill
Captain

Re: Tiger 1 late wheels and idlers

Post by tomhugill »

Henntec and they were about 250 euros!

I've got tanks with the ones without bearings and they're fine

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

Surprised that you can't get them , Panther and KT have bearings . Would put money on that way more Tiger 1s are upgraded than the Panther and KT combined. Wonder if someone has managed to convert to bearings on one of the builds ? I like the way the tank rolls to a halt with bearings fitted.
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

ronnie42 wrote:Surprised that you can't get them , Panther and KT have bearings . Would put money on that way more Tiger 1s are upgraded than the Panther and KT combined. Wonder if someone has managed to convert to bearings on one of the builds ? I like the way the tank rolls to a halt with bearings fitted.
Inertia is due to weight and gearing, not really bearings

ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

Still would like bearings, less friction = more inertia..Dirt/muck on metal to metal is OK if replacing them after a while.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

ronnie42 wrote:Still would like bearings, less friction = more inertia..Dirt/muck on metal to metal is OK if replacing them after a while.
Bushes are preferable to ball races if you intend to get the wheels wet in dirty water, much easier to clean up, and less likely to retain hard to remove steel bearing unfriendly moisture.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

It would be much easier to fit bushes.

Some one like mk modellbau might be able to help with the machining. He does a conversion for taigen panzer iv wheels to bearings

General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Ah, but if you buy fully sealed ball race bearings you avoid that issue. Dirt in bushes can wear both bush and axle but with sealed ball races axles last longer. A quick Google search will find you someone who has the size you are looking for at a sensible price. You'll need to know the inside and outside diameter, width and flanged or not.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

Have ordered some stuff here https://www.igus.co.uk/iglidur/cylindrical-bearing Have them in my old clutch drive KT as spocket shaft bearings.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

General Jumbo01 wrote:Ah, but if you buy fully sealed ball race bearings you avoid that issue.
They are moisture resistant, not waterproof, if they were, they wouldn't turn so freely. Also, not so easy to get on such tiny bearings.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?

Return to “General Questions”