M16/M3 Halftrack conversion?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

M16/M3 Halftrack conversion?

Post by BarryC »

Hi Folks,

Seeing Louis' latest build adventure made me recall seeing this on eBay a few days ago.
I have paged through David Doyle's 2 vol. set on U.S. Halftracks and can't find anything about it. There are a plethora of different version pictured but not this one.

It is pretty cool looking however. Has anyone seen any prototypical pics or info?

I also have a Torro M16 in my "stuff" and will be watching Louis' build. I will likely use the ElMod plug and play board specifically designed of the M16. But Louis may change my mind with his build.

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: M16/M3 Halftrack conversion?

Post by Tiger6 »

Dunno about that one - looks like a 'what-if' to me - but an M3 GMC / HMC is quite doable if you turn the base plate around and reuse the guts of the turret as a mount?
Failing that, try to get your hands on the paperback edition of Hunnicutt's book - if he didn't have photo's or drawings of a prototype proposal, nobody does.

If you had to buy the M5 for the turret, you'd at least have the base left over for converting to a British Recce Stuart ;)
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

I agree it does look like a "what if". I am not sure a mod like that would make any sense. It would be a lot of additional weight plus the needed ammo. But it does look cool! 8)

I purchased two of the Classy Hobby M5A1s with the intention of using one for an M4 High Speed Traction leaving me with a upper hull and turret.

Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

Hi Barry,

The closest thing I've seen is a fake tank appearing in the movie "The eagle has landed". It appears briefly in the final battle in the village. Its not a Stuart turret. It is closer to an M3 Lee look alike turret and armed with an M2 mounted on a roofed half track .
The eagle has landed
The eagle has landed
The eagle has landed
The eagle has landed
Capture26.JPG (58.56 KiB) Viewed 938 times
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

8)
Thanks Louis,
Barry