Vallejo primer?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
jonh
Private

Vallejo primer?

Post by jonh »

Good Morning everyone.
I am about to do some painting and have Vallejo AFV system kit to try a bit of modulation. Just been looking at the web and have seen some very mixed reviews about Vallejo's polyurethane surface primer included as part of the painting system so I guess my question is 'is it a good primer to use or would I be better off using another primer and just use the acrylic paints in the kit?'

Many thanks for any advice.
Jon
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Vallejo primer?

Post by Kaczor »

I have terrible experience with Vellejo primer. It peeled off. Use Tamiya, Gunze or car primer.
jonh
Private

Post by jonh »

Thanks Kaczor
I will use tamiya.
Cheers
Jon
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

+ 1 to terrible experience with vallejo. I never expected such a disaster, specially in metal parts.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

Hi,
this Vallejo Primer is like rubber.....
i don't know on which material it holds really well.
I use Tamiya primer too.
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

It’s rubbish, I use car primer
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
jonh
Private

Post by jonh »

Thank you Gentlemen
I have ordered Tamiya primer.
Cheers
Jon
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I'm not really a fan of the Tamiya primer, so I like to use Rust-Oleum self etching red oxide primer. It's what they call rusty metal primer. It works just great, and you can paint over it with enamel or acrylic and get a great result. And the best part is, it's really cheap. I can get a huge can for about 4 bucks (3 quid?), which is considerably less than the Tamiya primer.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning,
I use the Tamiya primer to great effect. Just about perfect with light coverage and consistency. That said, if you are not a lazy sod like myself, switch the nozzles from the Tamiya rattlecans once empty to other primers like Garys red oxide and enjoy that light, even coverage with them as well.
regards,
painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Just out of curiosity, does the Tamiya primer come in any color other than Gray? That's one of the things I like about the Rust-Oleum, it's a red oxide primer, just like they used on the real thing. If a little of the top coat gets scraped off you see red primer underneath, just like you would on a real tank.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!

Return to “General Questions”