Vallejo primer?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Kaczor
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Vallejo primer?

Post by Kaczor »

Yes!
Attachments
87160.jpg
87160.jpg (20.71 KiB) Viewed 1229 times
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Max-U52 wrote:Just out of curiosity, does the Tamiya primer come in any color other than Gray? That's one of the things I like about the Rust-Oleum, it's a red oxide primer, just like they used on the real thing. If a little of the top coat gets scraped off you see red primer underneath, just like you would on a real tank.
Yes, white, red and, believe it or not, pink.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I might give the red a try at some point. I've only tried the gray, and to be honest, I wasn't really that impressed. Since they have red it's probably worth another try.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Probably not a lot of help to those not in the UK but I have always used Halfords red plastic primer. As Gary has said, it gives the right base in case of scratches, or even for intentional ones.
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

If anyone has looked at my build thread there is a photo on there of my wheels but in the back ground there is my truck with its body primed with red primer. I’m thinking of leaving it that colour and painting the green bits on. It would pass as a red wood also

But yeah I use something similar to the Halfords primer.
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
B_Man
Corporal

Post by B_Man »

I'm a big fan of Mr Surfacer 1200 for fine detail and plastic parts. Like Max, for my hulls and large metal parts I use a red oxide all purpose metal primer from the local hardware shop. The brand I use is White Knight and it's very economical and hard wearing.
HERMAN BIX
Brigadier

Post by HERMAN BIX »

B_Man wrote:I'm a big fan of Mr Surfacer 1200 for fine detail and plastic parts. Like Max, for my hulls and large metal parts I use a red oxide all purpose metal primer from the local hardware shop. The brand I use is White Knight and it's very economical and hard wearing.
Ive used that stuff twice now. (Bunnings) have it & its pretty good.
Takes a while to dry though, and its a thicker coating consistency.
The stuff I really recommend is from Autobarn, a Holts Duplicolour primer, red oxide self-etching, part number DS108.
I have used Tamiya primer, but its no where near as aggressive on the etch as the automotive DS108, and it reacts to various top coats on any metal materials. The stuff just dont stick to H/L or stock styrene plastic or some metals like stronger stuff does.

As is with every product, your mileage may vary :/
HL JAGDPANTHER,HL TIGER 1,HL PzIII MUNITIONSCHLEPPER, HL KT OCTOPUS,HL PANTHER ZU-FUSS,HL STuG III,HL T34/85 BEDSPRING,
HL PZIV MALTA,MATORRO JAGDTIGER,HL F05 TIGER,TAMIYA KT,HL PANTHERDOZER,HL EARLY PANTHER G,TAIGEN/RAMINATOR T34/76,
HL AN-BRI-RAM SU-85

Return to “General Questions”