High Torque / Low RPM Motors

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Martin2556
Lance Corporal

High Torque / Low RPM Motors

Post by Martin2556 »

Hi to all,
I’m looking for recommendations for Low RPM (around 10,000 rpm) high torque motors.Reading through the forums I see that the Igarashi N2738-51 & Promax 400/480 motors come up quite often.
Any recommendations would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance, Cheers Martin
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: High Torque / Low RPM Motors

Post by Max-U52 »

If you Google "mabuchi specs" you'll get all kinds of charts on small electric motors and what kind of torque they have and what kind of RPM they have at what voltage and all the rest.

I studied these little Motors a couple years ago and found that it's quite an education. The worst part is that a lot of times the numbers on paper don't seem to match up with the performance of the tank. When I put the 360 water pump motors in the ztz-99 the paperwork all said it should run slower, but it actually ran faster. Those little Motors are a science unto themselves, so be prepared for an education.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

As a simple rule, the greater the number of winds in otherwise same sized motors the higher the torque and the lower the top revs. The less the number of turns the higher the revs and the lower the torque. Things get a little more complex if you start looking at double or triple winds but l doubt you come across them for tank use. Wire guage also has a small impact.

The problem is that manufacturers rarely print the motor spec anywhere until you get into high performance 540 size brushed motors. An alternative is to use a brushless motor that's sensored and programmable as you can then set it up to perform exactly how you want it to. Unfortunately, these are not budget items.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
MITCH
Lance Corporal

Post by MITCH »

Or otherwise you use an electronic board worthy of the name which will be able to manage idling correctly on an electric motor. The Clark tk40 or an Elmod can do it... If it is not enough, you can change the motors, but I did it few years ago, and it was worst...
Martin2556
Lance Corporal

Post by Martin2556 »

Many thanks to all......

Return to “General Questions”