Sourcing a rapid charger

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Re: Sourcing a rapid charger

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Son of a gun-ner wrote:
Jimster wrote:Good advice but I’ll just keep it. It was only $23 and now I’ll have a backup.
That's a very risky backup, and why should fraudsters get away with it.

But it's your money, and your decision.
The pirate charger is not that bad. It might fail at some point, but I have never seen any case of any fire with it.
Yep I agree he could open a dispute and get refunded... And maybe get refunded and keep the item, but still, I would not be worried about catching a fire with it. To my eye is hard to see if it is original or not, the source (the shop) should say it. That is why I always recommend getting it from reputed sellers, like hobbyking. In fact they used to have both of them, and in the fake, they said it was the fake. It was about 5 euros cheaper than the original. Anyway he got a better charger from Imex...

What worries me more, Jimster, is how you isolated the XT60 connector. Looks like you just wrapped some duck tape both wires together. You should remove it and to fit heatshrink tube, one on each wire. I would do it immediatelly. I can see both metal connectors from here, if for some reason some metal part touches them... Uh Oh... Also that makes me think if the charger is like that, your batteries might be the same, which is even more risky.

So take your soldering iron, the heatshrink and fix it now, mate.
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Jimster
Lieutenant

Post by Jimster »

Excellent advice! My largest size of heat shrink tubing wouldn’t quite fit over the connector so I wrapped Kapton tape around it and covered that with tape. Shame on me for sure. I’ll get some larger diameter tubing and do it right. Thanks for the good catch!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Adapters are readily available for pennies on e-bay and they just have to be better than a heat shrink bodge..
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Guess what, mines a fake too!

But it appears to do everything correctly so, since l've been using it overtime for a couple of years l guess l'll stick with it. I also found a Utube vid that shows you how to recalibrate the voltage so you can correct any problems there - the fake unit has a calibration facility off the menu!

So.... Who can you trust these days??? :/
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

This is the main reason I bought mine from Imex. No fakes there. 8)
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

I bought my chargers at a comparable price from a local ish RC model shop that's sadly gone now :(
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

I bought my Charger from Hobbyking, Hopefully that makes it a goodun :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “General Questions”