Pre build question

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Pre build question

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

I think I have the right channel for this but not 100%

I have recently received my Cromwell base kit from Ludwig and with having the crusader I know that the suspension can sometimes struggle with the task it is under taking. With that in mind armed with some blue prints from the tank museum I would like to try and make a better more capable suspension system closer to what was used.

My notion is to try and get some small but capable shocks and coils from an rc car of some sort.

The questions are has anyone tried this and does it work,
Or can anyone recommend some parts that will do the job.

I could perhaps try a printed shock but I doubt it would be strong enough and I don’t fancy waiting how ever long it will take to design.

Can anyone offer up any workable suggestions or theories?
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
tomhugill
Captain

Re: Pre build question

Post by tomhugill »

Ludwig's suspension is more than upto the job, so I wouldn't worry there.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Exhibitedbrute

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

I didn’t build the crusader I bought it ready built from Ludwig with dklm gearboxes and for that one I’m struggling to get it going and sitting on the suspension as it should perhaps it’s the weight of those gearboxes rather than the suspension as it only seems to be the back road wheels effected.

So that’s clears that up.
Next question the recommended gearboxes look to be the brass mato 3.1 gearboxes.
Has anyone used any others and what are they like for a fit?
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Exhibitedbrute wrote:I didn’t build the crusader I bought it ready built from Ludwig with dklm gearboxes and for that one I’m struggling to get it going and sitting on the suspension as it should perhaps it’s the weight of those gearboxes rather than the suspension as it only seems to be the back road wheels effected.

So that’s clears that up.
Next question the recommended gearboxes look to be the brass mato 3.1 gearboxes.
Has anyone used any others and what are they like for a fit?

I have brass asiatam 5:1 gears in mine which work a treat. The steel version that replaced them.wwre never as good imo. If you can find a set of brass ones though I'd go for it
Exhibitedbrute

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

Ok I will have a look around thanks. Not sure when I will start the build but it won’t be until I buy the suspension and gearboxes
bowlman
Corporal

Post by bowlman »

A few years ago I put Impact TU's in a Tamiya Kingtiger and they were heavy and weighted the front down even upgrading the suspension did not help so yes change to lighter gearboxes .
Oh I did have metal tracks on it also from Kenny Kong with the Impact TU's .
Thanks
Jimmy
Exhibitedbrute

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

The crusader will stay as it is I think. But the Cromwell is starting to look like it will have a few modifications or changes. Though the suspension will support a lighter gearbox I’m going to have a look see if I can get the panzer IV torsion suspension in by Torro may need altering though and it’s looking like I will source some HL premium gearboxes from Dave.

Return to “General Questions”