ETO Transmission's

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
jarndice
Colonel

ETO Transmission's

Post by jarndice »

Does anyone know if the ETO Transmission designed for the Tamiya Panzer 4 will fit an Asiatam or Taigen Metal Panzer 4 Hull ?
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: ETO Transmission's

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Although I can't help you with your quest Shaun, but are there no dimensions on the ETO website?
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
tomhugill
Captain

Post by tomhugill »

Daft question, have you contacted ETO? Ive found them very responsive

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Tom I am not sure that your appointment to the head of Public Relations was the wisest decision ever made :haha: . or perhaps you are training for a job in the Diplomatic service.
I asked because it was the easiest place to start.
Apropos nothing at all my last experience with ETO was a mixture of pleasure with the quality of the product and annoyance with the exorbitant US Mail postal charges.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

jarndice wrote:Does anyone know if the ETO Transmission designed for the Tamiya Panzer 4 will fit an Asiatam or Taigen Metal Panzer 4 Hull ?
I don't see why not, Shaun. I did a comparison of the respective hulls, and upper hulls, in the 'Contemplating building a Panzer IV thread'', from a few years back. The relevant dimensions are broadly comparable, and shouldn't pose any insuperable problems... but..er, wait, you did say Asiatam Pz IV hull, didn't you?? Hmm..I'm already recalling all the sleepless nights spent on that damned alloy hull. Perhaps I should give you a timely reminder of the issues with that thing: (1) Nothing fits properly; and (2) the hull, whilst looking the part (alluringly so, in fact), is actually almost 10mm too long to fit the Taigen upper hull, or even a Tamiya upper hull. I'm still annoyed about the Asiatam Stug IV upper hull + casemate I bought. It's a swayback, and nothing can be done to straighten the warp out. >:< :thumbdown: Also note, that dear old Rad has a sixth sense alerting him to the slightest mention of things 'Tamiya', and he'll doubtless be here anon to dish out the 'diss' on Tamiya products. :lolno:
My advice, however,- at the risk of awakening the sleeping critic- would be to buy the Tamiya hull and suspension (I've got quite a few suspension components hanging around from my Tamiya PZ IV experiment) and go on from there.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

43rdRecceReg wrote:
jarndice wrote:Does anyone know if the ETO Transmission designed for the Tamiya Panzer 4 will fit an Asiatam or Taigen Metal Panzer 4 Hull ?
I don't see why not, Shaun. I did a comparison of the respective hulls, and upper hulls, in the 'Contemplating building a Panzer IV thread'', from a few years back. The relevant dimensions are broadly comparable, and shouldn't pose any insuperable problems... but..er, wait, you did say Asiatam Pz IV hull, didn't you?? Hmm..I'm already recalling all the sleepless nights spent on that damned alloy hull. Perhaps I should give you a timely reminder of the issues with that thing: (1) Nothing fits properly; and (2) the hull, whilst looking the part (alluringly so, in fact), is actually almost 10mm too long to fit the Taigen upper hull, or even a Tamiya upper hull. I'm still annoyed about the Asiatam Stug IV upper hull + casemate I bought. It's a swayback, and nothing can be done to straighten the warp out. >:< :thumbdown: Also note, that dear old Rad has a sixth sense alerting him to the slightest mention of things 'Tamiya', and he'll doubtless be here anon to dish out the 'diss' on Tamiya products. :lolno:
My advice, however,- at the risk of awakening the sleeping critic- would be to buy the Tamiya hull and suspension (I've got quite a few suspension components hanging around from my Tamiya PZ IV experiment) and go on from there.
It is said if you say Tamiya I appear.
But if you say Tamiya and Radio in the same post, you summom me and I ring your bell at midnight.

In fact I mentioned you yesterday in my last entry in my website. (And I mentioned Jarndice in my Panzer 38t entry one week ago) lol.

It seems the asiatam Panzer IV is a bit like a hit or miss. Most of the times seems to be a miss, but the one I had, and now belongs to Carl was a hit. All the parts arrived (yeah, that does not always happen) all of them fitted well and I had no issues so far. I ended replacing the suspension with tamiya parts (well, a german guy did it for me, I lack the tools for machining metal) but I was very happy with the lower hull. The Sprocket and the return rollers are in the right position unlike heng long. The exhaust was amazing, I loved it, and it worked overall good. The fitting with the heng long panzer iv upper hull was good, there was indeed a noticeable line between both hulls but definitelly not a gap and nothing I had the need to cover. No idea with the tamiya upper hull. And of course the asiatam hull attachment parts were badly designed and did not work at all, lol.

Anyway I am not recommending to get the asiatam hull because of the reasons that we all know, and I also must say my flag tank, until I finish my T54, is the tamiya Panzer IV you have all seen, so I am pretty happy with it... Except because the suspension is not good made, the tolerances are too big, and it is made of cheap metal, so it wears pretty fast. I recommend to get spare part before they dissapear, now more than ever, when the Panzer IV seems to be gone. I am not the only one experiencing this facts, I have seen a guy in the Rc tanks universe forum talking about it, and Daryl Turner (the one who will ship those ETO gearboxes, which is a great friend of mine) had to replace all the suspension parts for the same reasons. It starts as a wear in the inner side of the tracks and it seems there is no way to prevent it besides machining parts, no matter how you clean or lube the parts. Unless you dont drive it, of course, lol.

Uops, I noticed I derrailed the thread a bit, sorry Jarndice!
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
Rad_Schuhart
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by Rad_Schuhart »

Look, I asked him, his reply is:
"Quick answer is no
Tamiya gearboxes do not mount same way as the Chinese tanks.
Can it be made to? Yes but requires special mounts to interface with the Chinese lower hull...which I think is all like Heng Long."

Hope it helps!
My RC tanks website, loads of free info for everybody:
https://radindustries.wordpress.com/
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

A wee (wenig) jest, of course, Rad. You are held with the greatest of respect by me, and many others on the forum, and yet it is uncanny how you appear- like a Genie (deinstbarer Geist!) when the 'Tamiya'
name is mentioned, :D :thumbup: Before I derail Shaun's thread completely, I hope you noticed that your recoil unit is in the Jagdpanther update I just posted. It works perfectly, although I had to scrape some of the paint off the wiring to check which was blue, and which was white. :lolno: :D Many thanks, again :thumbup:
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

Rad_Schuhart wrote: if you say Tamiya and Radio in the same post, you summom me and I ring your bell at midnight
Its been a crappy week, but this made me laugh out loud :haha: :thumbup:
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Roy your behaviour in diverting my thread for your own purposes shocked me to the core , Would I, indeed have I ever done that to you or any other member of the Forum ??? :haha: :haha:

Return to “General Questions”