Where to start off for 1/35 RC tanks?

Post all your Smaller Scale RC Tanks, Half Tracks and Vehicles, including build threads here. From below 1/18 to way down as far as you can go, H.O. 1/87th scale or less. Even your Smaller Scale figures are welcome here.
Haru
Recruit

Where to start off for 1/35 RC tanks?

Post by Haru »

I've had a couple 1/16 size tanks but wish to add 1/35 size tanks into my collection. I have a cheap $40 1/35 size tank but it doesn't meet my expectation because the RC feature doesn't work that well. RC range is too short as well as the motors in the tank aren't good at all.

I would like to find a 1/35 scale RC tank that has a good and powerful motor as well as a better range for the RC. I've found online one from Tamiya for the JGSDF type 10 tank with 2.4Ghz for about 220$. That was the only one I can find. What other options do I have for building/buying a good quality 1/35 RC tank? Thanks
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Re: Where to start off for 1/35 RC tanks?

Post by jimbo_wa »

Hi Haru
There are not many 1/35th tanks and those that are around (the Tamiya Type 10 is one of the few I’ve seen in retail) are very expensive. Tamiya does have other kits, but you’ll have to have deep pockets and import from Japan. All seem to be based off old 1/35th kits with the odd additional sprue to add the gearboxes, etc.

I’m building a fleet from vintage Tamiya kits off eBay and converting new kits that have the motor cutouts in the mouldings - mostly using the original metal gearbox or the modern Tamiya dual motor gearbox. Have a search for some of my threads and another chap called Modler - we’re both doing the same type of thing.

YouTube also has some conversions and I recommend YouTuber ‘Allen’ as a good source of videos.

Good luck, there’s not so much interest in the small scale stuff - but it’s addictive to a ‘special’ few!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
AlwynTurner
2nd Lieutenant

Post by AlwynTurner »

You might find it worthwhile checking out this site

http://35rctank.com/

Good luck with your projects

Alwyn :thumbup: :wave:
YOU'RE NEVER TOO OLD TO HAVE A HAPPY CHILDHOOD!

Saladin scratchbuild, Matilda scratchbuild, Churchill scratchbuild, Crusader scratchbuild, M10 Achiĺles scratchbuild, Universal Carrier scratchbuild
lmcq11
2nd Lieutenant

Post by lmcq11 »

I would recommend you purchase the MTC-2 control board and ACU unit from 35rctank.com, combined with some small dual gearbox like a Tamiya DIY or Chinese ones, and do some scavenging on the Drone market for their 3.7v batteries, lights and servos. You should then be able to RC anything you want that can hold enough gears for the functions you want to enable. Il will end up as expensive or more as 1/16 tanks but it will be unique and take less space on the shelf.
jimbo_wa
Corporal

Post by jimbo_wa »

Forgot to say that Clark also has various 1/35th boards - I've just bought three TK39SP from the wonderful Stian.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Haru
Recruit

Post by Haru »

Much thanks to everyone for your replies! Going to start off easy and go for the Tamiya Type 10. Can't wait to get started!!

Return to “Smaller Scale Military.”