Testors Dunkelgelb, no more?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Testors Dunkelgelb, no more?

Post by Max-U52 »

For a long while my favorite paints for tanks have been the testors model master '43 series, the dunkelgelb, olivgrun and schokoladenbraun, though the last one is not marked "'43" like the first two. Having run out of all three I went to the LHS and found they only had these colors in acrylic, not enamel. Bummer. I came home and ordered all three online, but at the Testors website I could only find olivgrun and schokoladenbraun, no dunkelgelb. I know there have been some changes lately at Testors, does anyone have any updates on that or know if they even still make Dunkelgelb '43?

And now I'm going to vent and rant and whine and moan for a minute. That's right, I'm entitled. If it weren't for all those sissies that are scared to death of paint thinner and only buy acrylic paint I'd still be able to get decent enamels! All those new-fangled dudes that have to have the latest and safest stuff are killing off my favorite paints!!!

Present company excepted, of course. I know there's nothing wrong with acrylic, I'm just pissed and had to get it off my chest. So there. Nyaaah. @) @)
Last edited by Max-U52 on Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Testors Dunkelgelb, no more|?

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning,
I was shopping for the very same thing day before yesterday up in Pueblo and had no luck. I had assumed they were out but now will go and order online rather than wait for a restock that never shows up.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Gary I am absolutely with you on people who for whatever reason wont buy a can of Thinners,
I always have a couple of cans of Cellulose thinners and a couple of cans of Isopropyl (Acrylic)thinners in the workshop,
People who brush paint straight out of an Acrylic pot without adding thinners are wasting half a pot of paint and because you cannot help overloading the brush it makes runs and smudges a much greater prospect just as you will with enamel paint and if its thinned it dries quicker as well.
Thin it and stir it should really be the first i/a for every painter whether it be enamel or acrylic.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I can tell you're a painter when you say stir instead of shake. Personally, I have one of those battery operated paint mixers and that's all I ever use. Works great.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

PainlessWolf wrote:Good Morning,
I was shopping for the very same thing day before yesterday up in Pueblo and had no luck. I had assumed they were out but now will go and order online rather than wait for a restock that never shows up.
regards,
Painless
I ordered some from internet Hobbies at $4.10 a bottle. I ordered 5 bottles of each of the three colors and it was $15 for shipping.
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

Mr max I may be able to find a seller of dunkelgelb in spray tins. My dad uses it on his German armour and tells me it’s made in Germany for German armour restorers/museums. I don’t know if it’s “43” or not but the panzer 4 he has painted in it looks pretty close to the very few colour wartime photos I have been shown.

There is a supplier I get my olive drab, bronze green and Portland stone from that may also do German colours. Again it’s auto paint but it’s good paint.

The brand I use are kings army paints and can be found on eBay. I have a seller name somewhere if need be
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Thanks, but since I just ordered five bottles each of olivgrun, dunkelgelb and schokoladenbraun I should be set for quite a while. One thing I like about testors enamels is that they seem to go a very long way in the airbrush.

After more research, I found that Testors has definitely been discontinuing enamel paints, they say mainly because they're not supported by the market. They dropped a complete line of figure paints for that reason, but I saw on a couple of forums that guys were complaining they still hadn't even heard of the colors before they were dropped. I know the rack at the hobby shop has sure gotten smaller, and a lot of paints have disappeared.

Does anyone know the shelf life of this stuff? Any special recommendations for long term storage?
Choobox
Recruit

Re: Testors Dunkelgelb, no more?

Post by Choobox »

I have been airbrushing with solvent based paints for decades. There is NO comparison between them and acrylics. None. I use Floquil almost exclusively. When they caved to the masses-I bought up every bottle I could find. House Of Color has some great military tones also.
No one said nuthin ‘bout lock’n horns with no Tigers-
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good evening,
I found a supplier in Georgia with the rattlecan type that I prefer for whole vehicle sprays. I bought enough to finish the Pz IV and one more large German tank. I realize that all things change and so will be looking at AK Interactive's version and considering which Flat overspray to use on Tamiya acrylic to prevent problems.
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Okay, I'm currently trying to cancel my order from internet Hobbies because I double checked the order and even though I found the paint in the section marked enamels it turns out they're sending me acrylic and I can't use it. I went to eBay and found one bottle of model Master enamel dunkelgelb and it was $18. $25 with shipping. Though I know it's stupid, I ordered a bottle because this color has been discontinued and you're not going to find it anywhere else. Sometimes I think they do these kinds of things just to make me mad. It's like a communist conspiracy.

Return to “General Questions”