Some help for a lazy guy

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Some help for a lazy guy

Post by Max-U52 »

I'm sure this info is out there if i look hard enough, but I'm guessing one of you fellas will know this off the top of your head.

I'm going to mask and paint the Balkan cross on the side of my 1/6 scale Hetzer.

How tall and wide should it be? I think it should be square, is that right? I'm guessing about 45mm x 45mm, what do you guys think?
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Re: Some help for a lazy guy

Post by jhamm »

Hey Max,
there is a wide range
wide cross
tall cross
only the outer sheme in white
and at the end of war
only the outer sheme in brown
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

The color profile I'm using shows a black cross with white borders, and says it's from the Netherlands in 1944. I suppose I could measure the drawing and do the math but I was hoping to get lucky.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I'm loosely basing my camo scheme on this tank

In this photo it looks to me like the height and width are the same.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

All of my large scale r/c are aircraft and there is a rich source of decals in 1/6, 1/8 etc which includes the Balkan cross.
So you might find the dimensions for your Balkan Cross in the r/c aircraft section of RCU. :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

I don't think it was that important how perfect it was, take this picture for an example.

Click to open
Attachments
Screenshot_20200526-182102.jpg
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Agreed, Mick, I'm not trying to count any rivets, just so it's close enough. I found a couple places that sell the Balkan cross in 1/6 scale and the most common decal seem to be about 2in Square so I'll probably just go with that.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

I've just found a colour picture on a different site, and obviously can't verify its date and origin because it's in colour, but what's interesting, it has a different cross but the same number :think:

Click to open
Attachments
hetzer_0.jpg

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Max-U52 wrote:Agreed, Mick, I'm not trying to count any rivets, just so it's close enough. I found a couple places that sell the Balkan cross in 1/6 scale and the most common decal seem to be about 2in Square so I'll probably just go with that.
If it's a third or a little less than the height of the side panel, you won't be far off :thumbup:

Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

Thanks, Mick, I think about 2 inches should look right, but I'll print it on regular paper first to test it out.

Return to “General Questions”