Tiger 1 tank numbering

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
BlueWotsit57
Private

Tiger 1 tank numbering

Post by BlueWotsit57 »

Heng Longs version of the Tiger 1 has the number 3818.

Was this a real or fictitious number

Does anyone know an online resource giving information for similar tank numbering ?
Heng Long Sherman, Heng Long Tiger 1.....and now a Tamiya Tiger 1.............more to come I am sure 8)
tomhugill
Captain

Re: Tiger 1 tank numbering

Post by tomhugill »

Its just the henglong model number. German tanks had max 3 digit numbers

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
BlueWotsit57
Private

Post by BlueWotsit57 »

Had a feeling that was the case hence question
Heng Long Sherman, Heng Long Tiger 1.....and now a Tamiya Tiger 1.............more to come I am sure 8)
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Tom is right about the German ARMY Tank Turret Numbers BUT German SS Tank Turret numbers did not always conform to the same practice,
Grossdeutschland used a combination of letters and two digits ie S-- A-- B-- C--
SS Panzer Regiment 1 started off in February 1943 with three numbers but by July 1943 they were using four numbers beginning with 13-- until November 1943 when they used two numbers prefixed by S--
November 1942 until May 1943 SS Panzer Regiment 2 used the three digit system then throughout July/August 1943 they prefixed the turrets two numbers with an S--
I do hope everyone is confused, I certainly am.
As I say repeatedly the best place for Heng Long and Taigens Decals/Stickers is the nearest waste bin,
They are historically WRONG and they look blo*dy awful.
If you do decide to use decals I suggest Peddinghaus, Their numbers have been researched BUT for a best of all Worlds do your research to identify the unit and the date of your particular Tank as a turret number was not always permanently assigned to a Tank and then ask our own RAD SCHUHART to make a set of Stencils/Paint Masks for you.
Last edited by jarndice on Sun May 17, 2020 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
BlueWotsit57
Private

Post by BlueWotsit57 »

That was my feeling about the HL decals rather leave them off than use them
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Here's a brief, but informative, article on the numbering system in Panzer divisions:
https://bunker3030.blogspot.com/2011/06 ... digit.html
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “General Questions”