Challenger 2 gun depression?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Landraider
Recruit

Challenger 2 gun depression?

Post by Landraider »

Hi all.
Has anyone managed to get any gun depression on a bb firing Challenger 2?
I quite like using the unit and only seem to find any depression by those people who have replaced with non-bb recoil type units.

Many thanks.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Challenger 2 gun depression?

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

In spite of having scratch-built some of my tanks, and dismantled/reassembled (in the right- and improved- order :lolno: ) others- I'll confess that I've never looked inside my Chally 2.
Thus, I've no idea which iteration of elevation unit it has. What's more, there's a good chance that if your model is the latest spec V6.0 Challenger, the elevation unit might have revised wiring connectors.
Still, it the unit's anything like this one from the StuG 111, and Panther G, you could modify (lengthen somehow) the white activation arm. Even a brass bushing on the activation arm pivot might work.This would increase the elevation and depression of the barrel, if done carefully. Otherwise, your personalsense of elevation could easily turn into depression :problem: :D
3-D printing a revised arm would be another option, if you have a printer.
StuG and Panther elevation arm
StuG and Panther elevation arm
Elevation Unit for StuG and Panther.jpg (64.12 KiB) Viewed 700 times
The revolving stud on the pivot arm engages with a horizontal channel on the side of the gun. If the Chally has a different unit (like the one with a revolving white 'wave'), you could try fitting this unit to the gun, along with an improvised channel (styrene 'I' beam profile, or Channel would do, or similar):
https://evergreenscalemodels.com/collec ... ne-channel
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Tue May 12, 2020 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

If Taigens massively improved Panzer 4 turret is anything to go by Servos rather than motors seems to be the way forward.
Lighter,Smaller and more efficient.
I can't see Heng Long missing that particular trick for long.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Sub
Sergeant

Post by Sub »

Hi landraider,

I have on mine,
I have the 5.3 radio version, standard bb unit but converted to recoil and flash by me, but the elevation / depression mechanism ie the revolving disc is standard the way it works is the revolving disc / cam revolve and on elevation lowers and the spring moves the rear of the barrel down, on depresson the cam engages on an arm / tag at the rear of the barrel unit and rides the cam to its highest point, if you stop it at this point and push the arm up it will go further thus giving more depression.
So i fitted an extra piece on this arm on its undeside where it contacts the cam so it moves it further and lowers it more, on mine i have to raise it to place the barrel flat onto the rear deck for transportation and when depresed raise it to clear rear deck on 360 turn.
Its quite simple really to do just dont over do it.
Worked for me,
Hope its of use.
Sub.
spongehoobtank82
Sergeant

Post by spongehoobtank82 »

If you want full gun depression your best off going with a servo but you need an aftermarket board for that, if your sticking with the stock electronics do the above but you won't get much more depression as the tab onth back of the BB unit that engages the cam will hit the turret roof and the spring that keep the barrel assembly from flopping up and down will also prevent it from going fully down
ImageImage

Admittedly this is probably to much elevation/depression but gives you a nice range and looks sweet on the defensive reverse slopes ImageImage
Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Sponghoobtank82-panzerIII, panther V, tiger VI early and late and another early tiger,leopard 2a6, panzer IV F2,challenger 2
Landraider
Recruit

Post by Landraider »

Thanks peeps. All very interesting stuff.
It's down the rabbit hole if I go for a new board and then convert to servo so I may look at the cam adjustment for a short term fix.

I'll make a list of things (like 360 turret ring, faster rotation, gun stabilization, etc) and then go the servo route.

Many thanks!

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Return to “General Questions”