T-90 infrared searchlights

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

T-90 infrared searchlights

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Yes, l know they have a name but l can't recall it at the moment. I'm referring to the two large turret mounted lamps fitted either side of the barrel. I understand they are infrared types. I've decided to make my new T-90 lamps work.

I've drilled out the front of each lamp and fitted a frosted lens, chromed the inside of the lamp body and will fit a led but....but, what colour? There are plenty of photographs out there but some show a bright white light, some a deep red, some a sort of pink and white wash.

We know that digital cameras can see infrared but display it as white so are some of those photos taken with digital and the red ones with film? Is there any visible light at all to the human eye? Are they equipped with more than one type of bulb.

I'd like to get it right, but what is right? Anyone actually know please?
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
tomhugill
Captain

Re: T-90 infrared searchlights

Post by tomhugill »

No you can't see infrared, I guess bulbs should be clear and in operative or use actual ir bulbs?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
General Jumbo01

Hi Tom. I absolutely agree but is there another, secondary light source mounted in those big lamps? I guess this is more a how well do you know the T-90 question than a can you see infrared light one, if you see what l mean.
STHV
Corporal

Post by STHV »

IRL they are IR dazzlers, a passive defense system, In real life they glow visibly red
I don't think they have a secondary light
Panther Ausf D (WIP)
Panther Ausf A mit Brückentafel (WIP)
Panther Ausf G (WIP)
Jagdpanther G2 (WIP)
Tiger II (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. VIII Maus V2 (WIP)
Pz.Kpfw. II Ausf L (WIP)
Sd.Kfz. 234/2 (WIP)
Leopard 1A4/1A1A1 (WIP)
Turm III (WIP)
VK 45.01 (H) (WIP)
ronnie42
Staff Sergeant

Post by ronnie42 »

Some say a glimmer of blue or is red correct. Have one on my Panther f build , don't fancy pulling the light apart again :'(
General Jumbo01

Ahh, sooo. They are used to baffle the enemy lR systems rather than be used for detecting vehicles at night. Thanks for your help. I may then fit a red/white combo led bulb so to change l just need to switch from one to the other. Or off!

Just as an aside, for a large MBT the T-90 has a tiny turret a stupidly long barrel!

Return to “General Questions”