Converting a Tamiya Pz IV Ausf J to Ausf E

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Converting a Tamiya Pz IV Ausf J to Ausf E

Post by BarryC »

Hi folks,

I am studying the possibility of creating a Pz Ausf E starting with the Tamiya Ausf J.

All seems doable but the tracks of the E are narrower than those of the J. Which from what I've read would mean new sprockets, tracks, idlers and road wheels.

Any suggestions; would Pz III tracks and wheels be the place to start?

TIA,
Barry
"Details make perfection, and perfection is not a detail."
Leonardo Da Vinci
jarndice
Colonel

Re: Converting a Tamiya Pz IV Ausf J to Ausf E

Post by jarndice »

Sprockets and idlers have always been available in both metal and plastic as early or late for the Heng Long and the Taigen Panzer 4,
If you can get them to fit your Tamiya PZ4 your in business.
What I would be interested in seeing is how you intend to reduce the applique armour protecting the driver and the radio operator.
I am pleased that my builds of the different versions of the Panzer 4 are based on Heng Long and Taigen products because for all of the inaccuracies in the hulls of these two makers Tanks the alterations going from Ausf B through to Ausf J is a lot easier than going in the other direction especially as the F1 and F2 (Not my choice of Variant nomenclature) (Should be Ausf F and Ausf G) are available which makes everything except the Ausf A quite easy.
It is made all the easier with the various modifications (Particularly the frontal armour of the Ausf D and the early and late front and rear fenders) between the variants being available from "Shapeways" C/O The mighty WOZ :thumbup: Which makes what I have had to do more a case of pin vicing and bolting rather than cutting and gluing.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Thank you Jarndice for your reply.

I had not thought about needing to reduce the existing armor before the addition of the applied armor.

Sounds like the F is as far back as I can easily take the Tamiya J, which is what I had originally planned. After seeing pics of the E, I thought it would be a unique build.

I appreciate your insight, :thumbup:
Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci
john1970
Corporal

Post by john1970 »

You might be better off starting from a Heng Long Panzer iv F1 a lot less work to convert that the Tamiya Panzer iv. their is also a conversion kit for the heng long F1 to convert into a D which wouldnt take much to change to an E.
https://tank-modellbau.de/eng_273/Conve ... Ausf-D-kit
BarryC
2nd Lieutenant

Post by BarryC »

Hi John,

Thank you for your reply. :thumbup:

I already own the Tamiya J so I going to stick with it as the basis of whatever I do. It is looking like the F will be the ticket I really like the short barrel and want to do a DAK Pz IV. I may also just go with a G or stick with the J. :)

Thank you,
Barry
Leonardo Da Vinci

Return to “General Questions”