Aerials to fit or not

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
BlueWotsit57
Private

Aerials to fit or not

Post by BlueWotsit57 »

With 2.4ghz radio systems not needing the large external aerials, which used to be the case with 27mhz and 40mhz radio systems, I am wondering what people do with their models.

On my HL Sherman, an aerial was included and there is a connection on the top of the turret - but should I fit or not is the question .

Looking around the internet some do and some don't so I am curious as to what others feel and do.

My own feeling is not to fit it - but what recommendations are there for covering up the connection on the turret ?
Heng Long Sherman, Heng Long Tiger 1.....and now a Tamiya Tiger 1.............more to come I am sure 8)
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Re: Aerials to fit or not

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Some of those aerials you see use are only accurate representations of actual period aerials, and serve no actual purpose for the signal.
I'm not sure if those little aerials that come with 2.4 gig systems make a lot of difference :think:
Some people either cut the pin off, file it smooth and use a little filler, and some remove it (probably drill it out) then fill the hole.

I'm sure if I'm wrong (it has been known), someone will be along to correct me :thumbup:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
BlueWotsit57
Private

Post by BlueWotsit57 »

I was thinking of putting an accessory over the opening as a possibility - just a case of what though 8)
Heng Long Sherman, Heng Long Tiger 1.....and now a Tamiya Tiger 1.............more to come I am sure 8)
adeh
Recruit

Post by adeh »

I have a few 2.4Ghz Heng Long tanks and the external aerial is purely decorative as it's not connected to the main board.

I've used the one on my Sherman to fly a pennant and a flag.
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

adeh wrote:I have a few 2.4Ghz Heng Long tanks and the external aerial is purely decorative as it's not connected to the main board.

I've used the one on my Sherman to fly a pennant and a flag.
I didn't think the turret one was connected :thumbup:

Good idea for a flag pole :thumbup:

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning,
yes, yes, it is me again ;0) Get yourself an antenna for your Sherman and mount it in the right location with the right base. It is a simple piece of detail that adds a lot of eye candy appeal to the tank.
regards,
Painless
Attachments
In The Mood is 100 percent complete now.JPG
...Here for the Dawn...
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

Aerials are like all other detailed parts. Do your research and then fit them where required. They will all be decorative only and can be made from all sorts of wire with handcrafted mounts. Just watch you don't take eyes out!
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

The General makes a valid point (sic),
With my pre Ausf H Panzer 4s it is not a problem as the aerial can be folded away but post Ausf G Panzer 4s the aerial is just like the Tiger 1 pointing straight up ready to take out the eyes of someone ignorant of such models,
My solution is a plastic bead Blu-Tacked to the top of the aerial when visitors or the grandchildren are in the house.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
BlueWotsit57
Private

Post by BlueWotsit57 »

Some interesting comments indeed.

I think my key concern as a newbie and never had to deal with the scenario, but is the hassle if something goes wrong and the tank has to be turned upside down to unscrew the bodywork if the aerial is fixed. comment.

Fitting magnets is on the to-do list which would avoid having to turn the tank upside down !!!

Intrigued by the "fold away aerial"

Decisions, decisions all part of the fun 8)
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Unscrew your tank while it's on its side :thumbup:

Return to “General Questions”