What is this part on a Sherman for

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
BlueWotsit57
Private

What is this part on a Sherman for

Post by BlueWotsit57 »

According to the Heng Long instructions this item faces forward, but on the attached image where I have circled it, the part faces down

Hence curiosity as with the part in the Heng Long Sherman being open it seems rather incomplete

Heng Long Sherman, Heng Long Tiger 1.....and now a Tamiya Tiger 1.............more to come I am sure 8)
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: What is this part on a Sherman for

Post by Tiger6 »

Its the spotlight. You can just about squeeze a 5mm flat top LED in there if you really want to fill it in.

Now with bonus picture:
IMG_20200426_185248.jpg
Last edited by Tiger6 on Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BlueWotsit57
Private

Post by BlueWotsit57 »

Many thanks Tiger6, I wondered if that might be the case, but was surprised that they didnt include a lens to stick in the front of it
Heng Long Sherman, Heng Long Tiger 1.....and now a Tamiya Tiger 1.............more to come I am sure 8)
PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Good Morning, BW57,
You are probably tired of hearing from me by now but you can put a nice yellow 3mm LED in there and plug it into the Board of your choice. A Lens can be found by using one of the Tamiya or aftermarket type headlight covers. Here is a pic of 'Maxene' with my first effort on the add-on.
I have since learned that the US Army put the lens for the light further back in the light can so I fixed this right on my Pershing Kit Bash.
regards and have fun!
Painless
Attachments
B-12 is clanking along again!.JPG
B-12 is clanking along again!.JPG
Traveling buttoned up with the spot on.JPG
Traveling buttoned up with the spot on.JPG
...Here for the Dawn...
BlueWotsit57
Private

Post by BlueWotsit57 »

HI PW - grateful for all the input and advice you kindly offer me, it certainly helps my learning curve for the hobby.

The Sherman has the v6.0 board on it, so no doubt there will be an auxiliary output on there, I need to dig out the specifications, just wondering how it would be switchable though

Return to “General Questions”