BB Unit upgrade

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Spiffmeister
Recruit

BB Unit upgrade

Post by Spiffmeister »

Howdy!

So I busted my first BB Unit, and managed to install a new one today. It's basically the same type (a 13euro thing from RCTank.de), and I'm sure it'll break down soon again.

Is there any way to upgrade the BB Unit? Perhaps metal gears inside (if so, where would you get those?)? Or are there better quality BB Units to be found somewhere?

I use a Torro T-34/85 Pro. I don't want to use IR, because we tend to shoot other non-tank targets as well.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: BB Unit upgrade

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Fitting stronger springs, and better seals, might be one way to go. Guns fitted to 'VS' tanks might be a superior alternative. If you look through the 'search' index of the Forum for references to 'Tokyo Marui BB, or Airsoft guns" you should find a few interesting discussions. It was once said that the BB/Airsoft units fitted to VS and Tokyo Marui 1:24 RC tanks were more powerful than those found in Heng Long/Taigen models. :)
Here's one reference for starters:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26365&p=251770&hili ... ui#p251770
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Here's a clip from that thread with TankMeister Gary (Max_U52) demonstrating what a well-tuned BB unit can do..
phpBB [video]
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

That is a really unsafe 'upgrade'! Firing darts can't be a good idea. BTW, fitting IR does not preclude firing BBs - the latest Heng Longs do both as standard.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
jhamm
Staff Sergeant

Post by jhamm »

Mr.Jumbo
true words!
+1
Spiffmeister
Recruit

Post by Spiffmeister »

Thanks for the replies!

Firing sharp missiles seems pretty overkill :D But we could look at upgrading the spring and at other BB Units.

I still don't really want IR, the large receiver on top puts me off, even if it's painted. Also I like to be in control, and let electronics decide for me if I've hit or not. We'll be playing in open air with little cover, so the sun will distort the signal as well. No point in IR for us.

I heard someone mention (on World RC Tank Community) upgrading the gears from plastic to metal. Does anyone have experience with this?
forgebear
Warrant Officer 1st Class

Post by forgebear »

guys this may help the broken bb units save you buying a new one

https://www.forgebeartanks.com/store/p1 ... Tank_.html
:thumbup:
Tiger6
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Tiger6 »

Spiffmeister wrote: We'll be playing in open air with little cover, so the sun will distort the signal as well. No point in IR for us.
The various IR systems on the market work perfectly fine outdoors, and in much stronger sunlight than what we see up here in Europe. If fact, in strong sunlight the issue is not hitting each other, its being able to see the hit indicator LED's flashing 8O
Retired tanker
Recruit

Post by Retired tanker »

Spiffmeister wrote:Howdy!

So I busted my first BB Unit, and managed to install a new one today. It's basically the same type (a 13euro thing from RCTank.de), and I'm sure it'll break down soon again.

Is there any way to upgrade the BB Unit? Perhaps metal gears inside (if so, where would you get those?)? Or are there better quality BB Units to be found somewhere?

I use a Torro T-34/85 Pro. I don't want to use IR, because we tend to shoot other non-tank targets as well.
Hi there,
I was also searching for a Tokyo Marui airsoft unit,but could not find even through my cousin who lives in Japan. However, I found 2 VS tank airsoft units and bought one of them from ebay. Here is a link for the second one available from the same seller.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RC-1-24-VS-Tan ... 3588473551
Mind you, there are no returns and no guarantee of anykind.
Good luck.

Return to “General Questions”