Tamiya panther gearbox

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Jfox61
Recruit

Tamiya panther gearbox

Post by Jfox61 »

Hi guys, does anyone know if there's an alternative gearbox to the standard box in the full option panther kit.

The cogs are worn on the one in my tank and the gearbox is slipping on one side in reverse
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: Tamiya panther gearbox

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Jfox61 wrote:Hi guys, does anyone know if there's an alternative gearbox to the standard box in the full option panther kit.

The cogs are worn on the one in my tank and the gearbox is slipping on one side in reverse
I've been looking for standard gearboxes for my Tamiya Jagdpanther project (Panther and Jagd version use the same boxes). They're not easy to find (out of stock at Axel's), and very expensive.
The only viable alternative, so far as I'm able to tell, is to fit ETO gearboxes. They're beautifully made, but even more expensive than standard Tamiya Panther units.
https://www.modellspiegel.com
https://etoarmor.com/?product_cat=eto-t ... ade-by-eto
Whilst these units can be made to fit the Panther, it's said that it's necessary to remove the speaker to squeeze them in.

So far as I'm able to tell, most Tamiya gearboxes are pretty much identical. They all use the same gears, I think, but differ only in the type (and size) of output/drive shaft used.
If your output shafts are OK, you could try taking the gears from any other available Tamiya units, and fitting them to yours. The gear cases are all identical:
Tamiya Gearbox housing
Tamiya Gearbox housing
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.

Return to “General Questions”