Metal tracks

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Timbo68
Private

Metal tracks

Post by Timbo68 »

I've just acquired my second tank with metal wheels/tracks. I thought about some form of track lubrication, but decided it was probably a bad idea. I have used bike drylube on rock crawler transmissions, but it just left a horrible mess. Also - both tanks have 'rubber' tyres, and these might be degraded by any oil-based lubricants.
So, lubrication - good or bad? If OK, what has anyone tried?
tomhugill
Captain

Re: Metal tracks

Post by tomhugill »

No tracks shouldn't need lubrication

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
RenoirLV
Corporal

Post by RenoirLV »

From what I heard track lubrication isn’t done. I never did that and they still work ok. The only component that can rust is the pin. But even with rust in them they still work well.

I did as thinking about dry bicycle chain lubricant in the gearbox. Can you tell more about the mess you mentioned?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Started as a tank man.
2x early Tiger 1's made from parts of HL, Taigen, Mato and whatever I saw suitable.
Ural 4320 (~1/12)
WPL B36 Ural
c.rainford73
Major

Post by c.rainford73 »

As Tom noted no lubrication needed
Tanks alot.... :wave:
Timbo68
Private

Post by Timbo68 »

Thanks for the confirmation - I'll leave them as is!

I found that the drylube hardened, and became a paste which was difficult to remove. Probably OK for bike chains, but not for anything less robust or more detailed.
General Jumbo01
Warrant Officer 1st Class
Location: I'm a Londoner that moved to Essex. Says it all really...:(

Post by General Jumbo01 »

That saves a job then ;)

However, it does make it all the more important to make sure all the road wheels, drive sprocket, idler wheel and return rollers are aligned to minimise wear. You could safely WD40 the track when clean and ensure all the links are free moving, wiping the track dry before use.

Teflon grease (if you can find it) is great in the gearbox.
Owner - Fuckleburgh Tank Collection
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

After you have run your Tank you should inspect the whole of the drivetrain for trapped stones especially between Tiger twin wheels, Grass wrapped around axles, Sprockets etc and sand and/or water in the hull.
A bicycle pump or airbrush feed should be used to blow the gearboxes, tracks and wheels/sprockets/idlers clear of dust.
Once the gearboxes are clean a decent lube should be lightly applied,
A bulkhead between the gearboxes and the rest of the hull is a very good idea.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

That dry lube for bike chains is meant to leave a residue to protect the chain from moisture, and it dries hard to prevent dust from sticking to the chain.
Any other type of lube will be wet, and will collect harmful dust on the tracks, I'll confess, I did once pick up a chain lube many years ago for the purpose of using it on my tracks, and luckily realised the error in purchasing it before I attempted to use it. I'll probably use it on the gears as it is quite clingy.
As was said above, it's only the pins that are liable to rust, and if you are the type that likes to play in puddles, especially muddy ones, the occasional cleaning with WD40 after removing any mud won't hurt.
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?

Return to “General Questions”