The correct modelling clay or compound.

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

The correct modelling clay or compound.

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

Hello folks.
I've modelled in the distant past with plasticine, but I've never used modelling clays putties or compounds.
I'd like to try my hand at figure bodies and maybe some detail parts. Have any of you got any suggestions as to what medium is best to use.
Sadly plasticine stays soft, I've heard of green and blue stuff, but have no idea what they're like. Obviously it will need handling, and be strong enough to withstand normal tank or truck driving, and be suitable for manipulating and then carving once dry.

Thanks for looking in :thumbup:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Re: The correct modelling clay or compound.

Post by silversurfer1947 »

Have you checked out milliput putty? https://www.milliput.com/
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

Hey Mick,

As you already mentioned, greenstuff is pretty good, the only thing I find with it is when its first mixed it's very sticky which can be a nightmare trying to work it but I find if you leave it a little while it dries out and becomes more workable. Another option is milliput which comes in a few grades so choose which one suits best the kind of work that you are doing, I find that you can work with this as soon as its mixed without it being to sticky. one tip is to keep the tools that you are working with wet which helps in not having the putties sticking to them. I use both of these mediums for either modifying my figures or making stowage bits and pieces and I don't think that you will go far wrong using either, hth :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee.
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Thanks guys, I never gave milliput a second thought, I thought it was more like a filler, never imagined you could sculpt with it :{

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
silversurfer1947
Lieutenant

Post by silversurfer1947 »

It's what I used for the sandbags in my 88mm gun emplacement. Sets rock hard. viewtopic.php?f=33&t=20211
Richard
Tamiya Tiger 1, Taigen FlakPanzer IV,Torro M16 half-track, Tamiya Panther,WSN/Torro T34,Taigen M41 Bulldog,H/l/Taigen Sherman M4A3,H/L T90, Haya M3 Grant, Metal Origins 234/2 Puma, Nashorn by Alwyn. I was only going to have one tank - honest! :D
Model Builder 4
2nd Lieutenant

Post by Model Builder 4 »

All of these items that I made for the German field kitchen were made from milliput Mick :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee. Image

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Me ? Addicted ? Never !! :crazy:
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

You clever boys, they all look fantastic :clap: :clap:

I saw this stuff on a YouTube video where the chap uses it to mould flared wheel arches etc on hot wheel cars, thought I was going to have to get something like it.
Attachments
Screenshot_20200330-185539.jpg

PainlessWolf
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by PainlessWolf »

Mick!
Stay away from Plastique. I have heard that your work has a tendency to blow up on you if you use it. ;o)
regards,
Painless
...Here for the Dawn...
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

PainlessWolf wrote:Mick!
Stay away from Plastique. I have heard that your work has a tendency to blow up on you if you use it. ;o)
regards,
Painless
But I've always wanted to go out with a bang Mr Painless ;)

gp100
Private

Post by gp100 »

Model Builder 4 wrote:All of these items that I made for the German field kitchen were made from milliput Mick :thumbup:

Cheers, Lee. Image

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Damn.. That's some great looking work.. Very nice detail.
I used to be indecisive. Now, I'm not sure..

Return to “General Questions”