Gearbox Ratio Help

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
PershingLover
Corporal

Gearbox Ratio Help

Post by PershingLover »

I'm looking at the Taigen New Gen Steel Gearboxes, and I was wondering if someone could explain the difference between 3:1 and 4:1.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: Gearbox Ratio Help

Post by Max-U52 »

The 3:1 have three reduction shafts in between rhe motor pinion and the gear on the axle, and the 4:1 have four reduction shafts in between the pinion and the gear on the axle. The 3:1 will give you a better high speed but not as much torque and the 4:1 will give you great torque and low end performance but not as much top speed.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

I only use the 3:1 in modern tanks that require a higher top speed.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
RenoirLV
Corporal

Post by RenoirLV »

This is 4:1 by Taigen. Just happened to have them out of my tank right now.

They have loads of torque. So much that idler rod can bend or the small pinion on the drive shaft get free. The small pin that holds it in place can get ripped off. I mean the small pin that you can see below.

One can fix it though with a nail or something similar.

Another thing I am not a fan of is the terrible noise they make. I understand it is the black steel cogs to blame.

In that regard I cannot but recommend Mato gearboxes. Loads of torque and bearings all around and no noise. Mine have bearings only in the drive shaft. The rest is this:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Started as a tank man.
2x early Tiger 1's made from parts of HL, Taigen, Mato and whatever I saw suitable.
Ural 4320 (~1/12)
WPL B36 Ural
PershingLover
Corporal

Post by PershingLover »

Are the Mato ones better than say, the Heng Long ultimate gears?

Are the Mato steel? And those rings (I'm blanking on the name) reduce stress and help the gears roll, right?
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

[quote

And those rings (I'm blanking on the name) reduce stress and help the gears roll, right?[/quote]

"BUSH/ES" :thumbup:
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
RenoirLV
Corporal

Post by RenoirLV »

I haven’t had the new HL ultimate gearboxes in my hands. But from pictures it looks they are the same as Taigen 4:1 only with bearings on all axles. Those in mine are called brass bushings if I’m not mistaken. If I had to chose now I’d take the HL ultimate.
One thing with Taigen 4:1 is that the transmission plate in Taigen lower hull (Tiger 1) doesn’t have screw holes to match all holes in the gearboxes. The right side can be attached with 2 screws in the plate and one in the plastic but the left side can be attached with only one screw in the plate and one in the plastic. Unless you make another hole in the gearbox floor. Because it needs all the attachment places you can get. It doesn’t stay in place if attached only by one screw in the plate. That doesn’t help sprocket assignment and how the track moves. I guess the 3:1 doesn’t have this problem.

Started as a tank man.
2x early Tiger 1's made from parts of HL, Taigen, Mato and whatever I saw suitable.
Ural 4320 (~1/12)
WPL B36 Ural
PershingLover
Corporal

Post by PershingLover »

There we go! Thank you, I was thinking bushels and all sorts of crazy things.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Post by Max-U52 »

RenoirLV wrote:I haven’t had the new HL ultimate gearboxes in my hands. But from pictures it looks they are the same as Taigen 4:1 only with bearings on all axles. Those in mine are called brass bushings if I’m not mistaken. If I had to chose now I’d take the HL ultimate.
One thing with Taigen 4:1 is that the transmission plate in Taigen lower hull (Tiger 1) doesn’t have screw holes to match all holes in the gearboxes. The right side can be attached with 2 screws in the plate and one in the plastic but the left side can be attached with only one screw in the plate and one in the plastic. Unless you make another hole in the gearbox floor. Because it needs all the attachment places you can get. It doesn’t stay in place if attached only by one screw in the plate. That doesn’t help sprocket assignment and how the track moves. I guess the 3:1 doesn’t have this problem.

Just so you know, taigen went to bearings on all axles and shafts quite some time ago. If you have a set of TG gear boxes that have bearings on the axles and bushings on all of the other gear shafts then it's a rather old box.

I thought they fixed the problem with the attachment holes but I'm not sure so I'll check and get back to you.
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

As I mentioned at the time I bought and fitted my new Heng Long Gearboxes from www.forgebeartanks.com they were the easiest to fit onto a Gearbox mounting plate that I had ever used :thumbup:
Not too expensive and all bearings.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:

Return to “General Questions”