Tools for working on your tanks

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
RobW
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: Tools for working on your tanks

Post by RobW »

Watch repairers tools: the pin thing for watch straps is perfect for track pins.
SEAN66
Private

Post by SEAN66 »

Thanks everyone for the help. various tools now on order
regards
Sean
H/L Challenger 2
H/L Stug III (Building)
Son of a gun-ner
Lieutenant-Colonel

Post by Son of a gun-ner »

SEAN66 wrote:Thanks everyone for the help. various tools now on order
regards
Sean
Dam, I'm late to the party.
I was going to say, whatever you purchase, it's worth going for quality over cheap, then they should outlast you.
Made in (in alphabetical order) England/UK, Germany, Japan, Sweden and USA are usually guarantees of good quality, although some companies farm out their manufacturing for cheap labour, best to pick those that manufacture at "home."
And a good set of vernier calipers is always a good investment.

Edit: my apologies if I've missed out someone's country that produces quality tools in my list above. I'm basing my list on my own experiences and purchases over many years, and there could quite easily be a make of tool from a country I've missed out on, and purchased the quality makes known to me.
Although, now I'm getting old, there is always a possibility I've misplaced a memory of a good make of tools from a country not listed :think:
Mick - The grit in the underpants of life!
And always happy to spare the bytes

TOTM needs YOU :thumbup: support YOUR TOTM competition, I'm doing my part, are YOU?
Ragnar
Corporal

Post by Ragnar »

Over the years I’ve collected h.o scale trains I’ve gather up a pretty good size collection of hobby tools most which are on the above list, not all but luckily those I don’t have don’t seem to be critical.
One handy piece I just snapped up on Amazon was a 18x24 inch self healing cutting mat.
Always used a old discarded piece of cardboard but this works much better.
But it’s a dry heat!
HL Panzer III
Taigen Tiger 1 Mid Metal edition

Return to “General Questions”