The 'Hole of Adding'-how much is too much?

If you have a tank query and you can't find the answer anywhere else, post here. (TIP - Check for answers in FAQ, use the 'search' facility or even check this board before posting here).
Forum rules
If your question is electronics related please post it in one of the relevant boards here: viewforum.php?f=31
43rdRecceReg
Major

The 'Hole of Adding'-how much is too much?

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

I'm sure many who've bought a Heng Long tank, will have chuckled over the place indicated in their manuals (said 'Hole of Adding') where smokers are meant to be topped up.
I thought I'd charge my Chally 2 up this afternoon, as it has been sitting on a shelf for the last four years, while a stream of other models have pushed it down the 'Use me, please!" queue. :/
I sorted the battery, and then looked at the HL manual to remind myself of the location of the 'Hole of Filling'. (It's on the right, behind the Turret, and underneath a removable vent). Looking at the manual, I noticed that the recommended dosage of smoke juice is 5-6ml. That seemed like a lot to me, considering that I recalled other hole-filling measures described as 'drops'.
Curiosity aroused, I checked my Taigen manuals. There, it was suggested that 1-1.5ml would suffice, once the residual amount from factory installation had gone up in smoke.
Some of the HL manuals suggest 5-6 drops (not mls) should be the right amount. Well, there's quite a differnece between a 'drop' (from a samll plastic pipette) and an 'ml'. In fact, there's a hell of a differnece between 5-6ml and 5-6 drops. Has anyone ever worked out the perfect amount?
Hitherto, I've just put in a few drops, as my tanks never run for the 1hr or two hours cited as typical runtimes, in the manuals. I've never burned a smoker out, nor flooded one- so far anyway, but someone using 'mls' instead of 'drops' could easily flood one. Is there such a thing as a standard 'drop', anyway?
I should stress, I use non-standard smokers in my build projects, and their needs are different. But most of my Taigen/Torro/HL models still retain the original smoker.
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Max-U52
Lieutenant

Re: The 'Hole of Filling'-how much is too much?

Post by Max-U52 »

I have a plastic syringe that's made for measuring dosage for children's oral medication and I add a half a milliliter at a time, no more.

And my HL manuals say the hole of adding.
When FDR coined the phrase "The Arsenal of Democracy", he was talking about Detroit. Proud to live in the 2nd most violent city in America!!
jarndice
Colonel

Post by jarndice »

Half a Pipette has always worked for me.
I think I am about to upset someone :haha:
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Max-U52 wrote:I have a plastic syringe that's made for measuring dosage for children's oral medication and I add a half a milliliter at a time, no more.

And my HL manuals say the hole of adding.
Ah yes, Gary, it is indeed the 'hole of adding'. :/ :D
Language aside, my query really concerned the distinction between 5-6 drops in one manual, and 5-6 ml in the Chally manual. Most of the others suggest 1-1.5 ml.
Having a transparent reservoir in the smoke unit is a partial solution to judging how much fluid to introduce; but that also means separating the upper and lower hulls, in most cases. Mind you, if the lever action hull
opening system featured in the IS-2, and an easily detachable wiring loom (separable centralised slip-ring wiring), opening the tank could be as simple as opening a car bonnet ('hood' to you Yanks).
Last edited by 43rdRecceReg on Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please"- Mark Twain.
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

If you want to burn a smoker out send it my way. I’m yet to have a tarr unit I haven’t burnt out
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
43rdRecceReg
Major

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Exhibitedbrute wrote:If you want to burn a smoker out send it my way. I’m yet to have a tarr unit I haven’t burnt out
8O Well, you're not supposed to use one as a hookah, or chillum :lolno: :D
Forgebear does sell replacement bits for them, though...but not the oil with the 'wacky backy' aroma :shh: :D
https://www.forgebeartanks.com/store/p8 ... units.html
Exhibitedbrute
Warrant Officer 2nd Class

Re: The 'Hole of Adding'-how much is too much?

Post by Exhibitedbrute »

To be fair I do use 11.1 batteries I doubt that helps. I expect by now forgebear is fed up of me buying smoker parts.

Though I haven’t bought any for a while
It’s your tank it’s what you make it
43rdRecceReg
Major

Re: The 'Hole of Adding'-how much is too much?

Post by 43rdRecceReg »

Exhibitedbrute wrote:To be fair I do use 11.1 batteries I doubt that helps. I expect by now forgebear is fed up of me buying smoker parts.

Though I haven’t bought any for a while
I've added it on another thread, but this new Haya unit (smokin' barrel version) certainly coughs out the smoke neatly. It's also capable of taking 11.1 DCV batteries, I believe- so maybe you could try burning one of these out. :D
phpBB [video]

Return to “General Questions”